Cidsports 2008 Preseason Top 25 College Football Poll
as of 5/31/2008
1. Georgia Bulldogs (11-2, 2nd AP ‘07) Does UGA make it 3 straight for a SEC team?
2. USC Trojans (11-2, 3rd) are clearly the most consistent program in nation since ’02!
3. Auburn Tigers (9-4, 15th) in hunt for SEC title and a chance to make it SEC 3 straight!
4. Texas Longhorns (10-3, tie 10th) Momentum will be important for Longhorns in ’08…
5. Ohio State Buckeyes (11-2, 5th)*** Is three a charm in ’08, the 40th anniversary season of OSU's MNC in ’68?
6. LSU Tigers (12-2) (1st) Look for the defending champs to play spoiler in ‘08…
7. West Virginia Mountaineers (11-2, 6th) will work to stay in Top 10 under new HC…
8. Oklahoma Sooners (11-3, 8th)*** and HC Bob Stoops look to find mojo again in the BCS!
9. Virginia Tech Hokies (11-3, 9th) could carry banner again as ACC’s top rated team…
10. Brigham Young Cougars (11-2, 14th) plan to carry torch as nation’s top in non-BCS!
11. Oregon Ducks (9-4, 23rd) could be a QB away from competing with USC and the best?
12. Tennessee Volunteers (10-4, 12th) open with big games in top half of schedule…
13. Florida Gators (9-4, 13th) look to get back into the mix after falling from top last year…
14. Arizona State Sun Devils (10-3, 16th) look to build on Mo in HC Erickson’s 2nd year!
15. Penn State Nittany Lions (9-4, NR) Does Joe Pa’s Nittany Lions make one more run?
16. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (9-4, NR) look to get into hunt for ACC title & Top 25!
17. Missouri Tigers (12-2, 4th) look to repeat, after winning first Big 12 North title LY!
18. Texas Tech Red Raiders (9-4, 22nd) are often dangerous when starting QB is back!
19. Illinois Fighting Illini (9-4, 20th) have some key leaders to replace entering ’08…
20. Kansas Jayhawks (12-1,7th) are coming off best season, since #7 finish in ’68…
21. Clemson Tigers (9-4 21st)*** are a team to watch in the ACC & the Top 25 this season!
22. Fresno State Bulldogs (9-4, NR) look to pass Hawaii and Boise State in WAC…
23. Utah Utes (9-4, NR) open season at Michigan and close at home w/ rival #10 BYU...
24. Wisconsin Badgers (9-4, 24th) will try to make it 5 straight Top 25 finishes in ’08!
25. Tulsa Golden Hurricane (10-4, NR) look to carry CUSA torch & grab a Top 25 finish!
*** I do not rank a team above last year's final AP ranking, if they lost their bowl game... I feel they should earn there way back to the Top of the rankings (see teams like OSU, OU and Clemson).
Other Teams that were considered for the Top 25:
Boston College (11-3, t10th), Cincinnati (10-3, 17th), Michigan (9-4, 18th), Hawaii (12-1, 19th), Oregon State (9-4, 25th), Virginia (9-4) , Kentucky (8-5), Boise State (10-3), Arkansas (8-5), Mississippi State (8-5), South Florida (9-4), Connecticut (9-4), Air Force (9-4), Rutgers (8-5), Florida Atlantic (8-5), New Mexico (9-4), East Carolina (8-5), Purdue (8-5), TCU (8-5), Alabama (7-6), California (7-6), Oklahoma State (7-6).
Other Teams to Watch that didn’t fare well LY that look to rebound in ’08:
Miami-FL (5-7 in '07), North Carolina (4-8), Pittsburgh (5-7), Colorado (6-7), Iowa (6-6), Northwestern (6-6), Notre Dame (3-9) and Arizona (5-7).
Again, this should be a wide open College Football Season. We saw in 2007, teams like Missouri and Kansas come out of no where and compete for the Big 12 North title. Though, the Tigers figured to be in the mix, the Kansas Jayhawks clearly were the surprise team in the nation in '07.
Who will be this year's surprise team. So, will the SEC make it three straight BCS trophies? Will Ohio State finally get the monkey off their back and beat an SEC team in the BCS Title Game, let alone a Bowl Game?
Will Iowa get back their mojo that they found under Head Coach Kirk Ferentz during their three year run of #8 finishes at season's end from 2002 to 2004?