- Appalachian State opens September 1 @ Ann Arbor vs. University of Michigan... after last year's game vs. Ball State... a closer than not game against the Wolverines could arise!
- Montana opened last year @ Iowa, but this season... no Division I-A opponents listed.
- New Hampshire travels to C-USA's Marshall this year, after knocking off the Big Ten's Northwestern 34-17 in '06!
- North Dakota State will join the Gateway in '08... get another crack with the Big Ten's Minnesota Gophers, after close 9-10 loss in '06 in Minneapolis.
- Northern Iowa will travel to Ames again, this time, to welcome the Gene Chizik era for the Big 12's Iowa State University... it's been awhile since UNI pulled an upset on the Cyclones in football.
- McNeese State visits the Sun Belt's Louisiana-Lafayette on September 15th.
- Delaware visits Navy on October 27th.
- Illinois State will visit the Big 12's Missouri in Columbia on September 22nd.
- Portland State will travel to the MWC's San Diego State on September 22nd too... the Aztecs fell victim last year to Cal Poly 14-16, so Portland State will get their chance.
- Youngstown State will open season on September 1st at Ohio State, which will be a kind of homecoming of sorts, since Buckeye coach Jim Tressel was a former YSU headman.
In 2005, Maine sprung a big upset on the SEC's Mississippi State. Last year, Northwestern and San Diego State were victims, as was Colorado, who fell victim to Montana State in a 10-19 loss to open the season.
With 12 games now in Division I-A football, there are more games arising between teams from the Bowl Championship Division with teams from the Playoff Championship Division. I-A vs. I-AA... bring it on!
Around the Big Ten, Wisconsin will host The Citadel, Purdue hosts Eastern Illinois, Illinois faces Western Illinois, Northwestern opens with Northeastern, while Indiana kicks the season off with in-state Indiana State. Around the Big 12 North, K-State hosts Missouri State, while Kansas will face SE Louisiana in '07.