Iowa 42, Indiana 24 in 2009.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Iowa 42, Indiana 24 in 2009.
The Hawkeyes went to 8-0, 4-0 in the Big Ten last week @ MSU on the last play.
The Hawkeyes and Hoosiers will kick off at 11 am today to an ESPN audience at Kinnick Stadium.
- How will QB Ricky Stanzi for Iowa play for 60 minutes?
- Does Stazni continue error free in the passing game? (zero picks past 2 weeks)
- Can Iowa find a consistent running game vs. Hoosiers, despite RB Adam Robinson and RG Dace Richardson's injuries?
- Can Iowa take away the big play from the Hoosiers?
- It's Halloween: Trick or Treat today?
Friday, October 30, 2009
Get a quick rundown of all the Top 25 games. Billy Cannon's Halloween Run made him a legend. His counterfeiting conviction made him an outcast. ...
Northwestern's defense and special teams need to get their act together for a full game on Saturday. A few big offensive plays and a few big returns led to ...
Oddsmakers have tabbed Iowa's football team as a 17-point favorite, but recent results suggest ...
Tough-luck Hoosiers come to Kinnick - UI The Daily Iowan
Iowa's next game is on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium against Indiana. Kickoff is scheduled for 11 am The game will be televised by ESPN.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Rank Team Record
- Florida 7-0 - Something will have to give in the SEC
- Alabama 8-0 - Something will have to give in the SEC
- Texas 7-0 - The Longhorns are playing better as win @ Missouri showed
- Iowa 8-0 - Iowa is 8-0 for the first time in the history of the football program
- USC 6-1 - One loss team... the Trojans are always dangerous, but must win in NW
- TCU 7-0 - Who is the best non-BCS conference team in '09?
- Boise State 7-0 - The Broncos have the easiest schedule among the Top 10 teams
- Cincinnati 7-0 - The Big East is getting some respect with 3 BCS Top 25 teams
- LSU 6-1 - Can the LSU get back to the BCS?
- Oregon 6-1 - Can the Ducks beat the Trojans in Week 9?
- Georgia Tech 7-1 - Top ACC team is outside the Top 10 of the BCS
- Penn State 7-1 - The Nittany Lions are starting to play stronger, after early loss
- Virginia Tech 5-2 - Top FBS team with two losses comes from the ACC?
- Oklahoma State 6-1 - Big game vs. Texas in Week 9 for the Big 12 South lead!
- Pittsburgh 7-1 - The Panthers are playing better ball this season.
- Utah 6-1 - The MWC race is going to be an interesting one... will Utes spoil TCU?
- Ohio State 6-2 - The Buckeyes have two losses and the meat of schedule in Novmember
- Houston 6-1 - The top C-USA team is in the Top 20 of the BCS.
- Miami (FL) 5-2 - Tough loss in OT at home vs. Clemson in Week 8 drops Hurricane
- Arizona 5-2 - The Wildcats have one Pac 10 loss and a loss in the OOC to Iowa
- West Virginia 6-1 - The Mountaineers are the 3rd undefeated Big East team in conference
- South Carolina 6-2 - The Gamecocks win with defense in '09 for Spurrier
- Notre Dame 5-2 - The Fighting Irish don't have top teams left on schedule
- California 5-2 - Cal is back in the Top 25 after some disappointing losses in Pac 10
- Mississippi 5-2 - Ole Miss has two disappointing losses as well this season
- Iowa has played a Nick Saban team, who now coaches Alabama, back at the end of the 2004 season in the Capital One Bowl. Iowa beat LSU on the final play of the game 30-26.
- Iowa played Urban Meyer at Florida, losing by 24-310 in a controversial finish at the end of the 2005 season in the Outback Bowl in Florida.
- Iowa played Mack Brown at Texas, losing by two points in a close and competitive game at the end of the 2006 season in the Alamo Bowl in Texas.
- Iowa was the only Big Ten team at the end of the 2008 season to win a bowl game, defeating South Carolina 31-10 in the Outback Bowl.
- Iowa has won 14 of the past 15 games, since their 3-3 start in '08 and their loss at Michigan State by three points. Iowa lost four games in '08 by a total of 12 points.
- Iowa is 8-0 (4-0 Big Ten) after Week 8 of the 2009 season with a 15-13 win over Michigan State in East Lansing on the final play of the game on a seven yard slant pass for their 12Th straight win in the FBS over the past two seasons.
- Florida (7-0, 5-0 SEC) 1 - The Gators win 29-19 @ Mississippi State (3-5, 1-3 SEC). Next up: vs. Georgia (4-3, 3-2) in Jacksonville for the old Cocktail Party game.
- Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC) 2 - The Crimson Tide win 12-10 vs. Tennessee (3-4, 1-3 SEC). Next up: after a by week in Week 9, the Crimson Tide will host #9 LSU (6-1, 4-1 SEC) in a huge SEC West showdown for first place.
- Texas (7-0, 4-0 Big 12) 3 - The Longhorns win 41-7 @ Missouri (4-3, 0-3 Big 12). Next up: @ #14 Oklahoma State (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) for first place in the Big 12 South.
- USC (6-1, 3-1 Pac 10) 4 - The Trojans won 42-36 vs. Oregon State (4-3, 2-2 Pac 10). Next up: @ #10 Oregon (6-1, 4-0) in a game that could eliminate the Trojans with a loss for the Pac 10 title.
- Cincinnati (7-0, 3-0 Big East) 5 - The Bearcats won 41-10 vs. Louisville (2-5, 0-3 Big East). Next up: @ Syracuse (3-4, 0-2 Big East) as the Bearcats seek back to back BCS bowls, after losing 7-20 in Orange vs. Virginia Tech in '08 season.
- Iowa (8-0, 4-0 Big Ten) 6 - The Hawkeyes won 15-13 @ Michigan State (4-4, 3-2 Big Ten). Next up: vs. Indiana (4-4, 1-3 Big Ten) as Iowa goes for their 13 straight win over the past two seasons, sandwiched between Florida and Texas for longest win streak in the FBS.
- Boise State (7-0, 2-0 WAC) 7 - The Broncos won 54-9 @ Hawaii (2-5, 0-4 WAC). Next up: vs. San Jose State (1-5, 0-2 WAC) as the Broncos looks to remain the top non-BCS team in FBS.
- TCU (7-0, 3-0 MWC) 8 - The Horned Frogs won 38-7 @ then #16 BYU (6-2, 3-1 MWC). Next up: vs. UNLV (3-5, 1-3 MWC).
- LSU (6-1, 4-1 SEC) 9 - The Tigers won 31-10 vs. Auburn (5-3, 2-3 SEC). Next up: vs. Tulane (2-5, 0-4 C-USA), as the Tigers have an OOC game before showdown with #2 Alabama.
- Oregon (6-1, 4-0 Pac 10) 10 - The Ducks won 43-19 @ Washington (3-5, 2-3 Pac 10). Next up: vs. #4 USC (6-1, 3-1 Pac 10) in a showdown for the top spot in the Pac 10.
- Georgia Tech (7-1, 5-1 ACC) 12 - The Yellow Jackets won 34-9 @ Virginia (3-4, 2-1 ACC). Next up: @ Vanderbilt (2-6, 0-5 SEC) in a ACC-SEC battle on the road.
- Penn State (7-1, 3-1 Big Ten) 13 - The Nittany Lions won 35-10 @ Michigan (5-3, 1-3 Big Ten). Next up: @ Northwestern (5-3, 2-2 Big Ten) in an important Big Ten road game.
- Oklahoma State (6-1, 3-0 Big 12) 14 - The Cowboys won 34-7 @ Baylor (3-4, 0-3 Big 12) to remain 1/2 game behind Texas in the Big 12 South. Next up: vs. #3 Texas (7-0, 4-0 Big 12) for the top spot in the Big 12 South race.
- Virginia Tech (5-2, 3-1 ACC) 15 - The Hokies enjoyed a bye week in Week 8. Next up: vs. North Carolina (4-3, 0-3 ACC).
- Miami-FL (5-2, 2-2) 11 - The Hurricane lost 37-40 in OT vs. Clemson (4-3, 3-3 ACC). Next up: @ Wake Forest (4-4, 2-2 ACC).
- Ohio State (6-2, 4-1 Big Ten) 17 - The Buckeyes won 38-7 vs. Minnesota (4-4, 2-3 Big Ten). Next Week: vs. New Mexico State (2-5, 1-3 WAC), as the Buckeyes go OOC in Week 9.
- Houston (6-1, 2-1 C-USA) 18 - The Cougars won 38-15 vs. SMU (3-4, 2-1 C-USA). Next up: vs. Southern Miss (5-3, 3-1 C-USA) in a key inter-division game in C-USA.
- Utah (6-1, 3-0 MWC) 19 - The Utes won 23-16 in OT vs. Air Force (4-4, 3-2 MWC). Next up: vs. Wyoming (4-3, 2-1 MWC)
- Pittsburgh (7-1, 4-0 Big East) 20 - The Panthers won 41-14 vs. South Florida (5-2, 1-2 Big East). Next up: @ Syracuse (3-4, 0-2 Big East).
- West Virginia (6-1, 2-0 Big East) 22 - The Mountaineers won 28-24 vs. Connecticut (4-3, 1-2 Big East). Next up: @ South Florida (5-2, 1-2 Big East).
- South Carolina (6-2, 3-2 SEC) 23 - The Gamecocks won 14-10 vs. Vanderbilt (2-6, 0-5 SEC). Next up: @ Tennessee (3-4, 1-3 SEC) in another key SEC match up for the 'Cocks.
- Arizona (5-2, 3-1 Pac 10) 25 - The Wildcats won 27-13 vs. UCLA (3-4,4- 0-4 Pac 10). Next up: Bye week in Week 9, before a game vs. Washington State (1-6, 0-5 Pac 10).
- BYU (6-2, 3-1 MWC) 16 - The Cougars lost 7-38 to #8 TCU (7-0, 3-0 MWC) to drop in the MWC standings. Next up: Bye week in Week 9, before resuming MWC play @ Wyoming (4-3, 3-2 MWC).
- Oklahoma (4-3, 2-1 Big 12) 24 - The Sooners won 35-13 @ Kansas (5-2, 1-2 Big 12). Next up: vs. Kansas State (5-3, 3-1 Big 12) in a must win for the Sooners, if they wish to remain in Big 12 South title hunt.
- Notre Dame
(5-2) NR - The Fighting Irish won 20-16 vs. Boston College (5-3, 3-2 ACC) to earn a spot back in the Top 25. Next up: vs. Washington State (1-6, 0-5 Pac 10) in San Antonio in a home game in Texas.
Knocked out of the Top 25 after Week 8: former #21 Texas Tech (5-3, 2-2 Big 12) - lost 30-52 to Texas A&M (4-3, 1-2 Big 12)
Upset of Week 8 of note: Iowa State (5-3, 2-2 Big 12) won 9-7 @ Nebraska (4-3, 1-2 Big 12) for first win in Lincoln over the Cornhuskers since 1977. The Cyclones were without their starting QB and RB for the game.
Hawki97 has a great signature on the Rivals Network reflecting on Iowa's 8-0 start to the '09 season
One of the posters: Hawki97 began a signature picture earlier in the season that has been expanded, after Iowa's 8-0 start. The picture entering the MSU game highlighted a fan from each fan base @ISU, @ PSU, vs. Michigan and @UW. Each picture was a shot of a disappointing fan from Iowa's opposing fan bases.
Today, at 8-0 the picture shows all eight opponents, as Iowa reaches 8-0 for the first time in the history of the Hawkeye Football program, with a 15-13 win on the final play @ Michigan State. The Hawkeyes have been playing football since 1889.
Great to be a Hawkeye is a slogan for Iowa fans every where. Iowa is 4-0 midway through the Big Ten Conference in 2009.
Big Ten Football Standings after Week 8 of FBS season
|Ohio State #17||4-1||6-2|
|Penn State #11||3-1||7-1|
Iowa is only at the half way point of the 2009 Big Ten Conference schedule. They are 4-0 with three of the four games played on the road. Iowa will close out the final four conference games, with three of the four now at Kinnick Stadium. The one road game will be at Ohio State on November 14, 2009.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
- Iowa 27
- MSU 13
Look for Iowa to get over the top and get to 8-0 in East Lansing. However, it will not be easy and the Hawkeyes need to be careful not to let the Spartans hang around with their young offense, lead by first year starters at QB and RB. MSU PK Brett Swenson is a senior and a very capable weapon in the close ballgame.
Keys to victory for the Hawkeyes:
- Keep playing strong on the road: Iowa is 3-0 this season and has yet to give up a second half point @ Iowa State, @ Penn State and @ Wisconsin.
- Keep composure on the road: Iowa fell behind in all three road games thus far this season. By 3 @ Iowa State, by 10 @ both Penn State and Wisconsin.
- Game Adjustments - coach Kirk Ferentz and staff are veterans, second to Joe Paterno at Penn State.
- Control the line of scrimmage and avoid giving up the big play: MSU likes to attack in the air with the long passing attack.
- Turnovers, miscues and penalties: A strength so far for the 7-0 Iowa Hawkeyes, especially in the second half on the road, where Iowa is 3-0 on the season.
- QB Ricky Stanzi needs to play a solid game vs. the MSU Spartan defense.
- Win the Special teams phase of the game: always a key to a Ferentz coached team.
- Make MSU beat you through the air ... as the Hawkeyes seek to reach 8-0 on the season for the first time in Hawkeye Football history.
Who to Root for on Saturday in College Football on TV; Iowa State leads Nebraska at half in Lincoln 9-7
- Central Michigan at Bowling Green, 11:00 a.m., ESPN-GP / ERTV (cable)
- Connecticut at West Virginia, 11:00 a.m., ESPNU (HD)
- Georgia Tech at Virginia, 11:00 a.m., ESPN-GP *2 / Raycom (HD) *3 / online
- Illinois at Purdue, 11:00 a.m., ESPN2 (HD)
- Indiana at Northwestern, 11:00 a.m., BTN (HD)
- ames Madison at William & Mary, 11:00 a.m., CSMA
- Minnesota at Ohio State, 11:00 a.m., ESPN (HD)
- South Florida at Pittsburgh, 11:00 a.m., ALT / MASN / SNY / ESPN-GP / ERTV (cable)
- Arkansas at Ole Miss, 11:21 a.m., ESPN-GP / SEC Network *4
- Colorado at Kansas State, 11:30 a.m., FCS Central (cable) / DirecTV - 617
- Iowa State at Nebraska, 11:30 a.m., FSN (HD) - Sorry Cornhusker fans, but it would be nice to see the Paul Rhoades era get a big upset win, like coach Danny Hope and his Purdue Boilermakers did last week over Ohio State
- Oklahoma State at Baylor, 11:30 a.m., Versus (HD) - Loss of QB has really hurt Bears in '09
- Georgia Southern at Appalachian State, 2:00 p.m., SS
- Louisiana Tech at Utah State, 2:00 p.m., ESPN-GP / ERTV (cable)
- Akron at Syracuse, 2:30 p.m., SNY / TWS (cable)
- Boston College at Notre Dame, 2:30 p.m., NBC (HD) - Go Jesuits Go!
- Clemson at Miami-FL, 2:30 p.m., (ABC *1 / ESPN *7) (HD) / ESPN-GP *2 - I like the young coach at Clemson
- Coastal Carolina at Stony Brook, 2:30 p.m., MASN
- Louisville at Cincinnati, 2:30 p.m., ESPNU (HD)
- North Texas at Troy, 2:30 p.m., ESPN-GP *2 / FCS Atlantic
- Oklahoma at Kansas, 2:30 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2
- Oregon at Washington, 2:30 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2
- Penn State at Michigan, 2:30 p.m., (ESPN *7 / ABC *1) (HD)
- Tennessee at Alabama, 2:30 p.m., CBS (HD) / Online
- Wake Forest at Navy, 2:30 p.m., CBSC (HD)
- Weber State at Northern Colorado, 2:30 p.m., ALT
- Air Force at Utah, 3:00 p.m., Versus (HD)
- Idaho at Nevada, 3:00 p.m., ESPN-GP
- San Diego State at Colorado State, 3:00 p.m., Mtn.
- UCLA at Arizona, 5:30 p.m., (FSAZ / FSPT) (HD) / FSNW / FCS-P (cable) - Let's go 'Cats at Tucson again!
- Iowa at Michigan State, 6:00 p.m., BTN (HD) - Iowa seeks to go to 8-0 for the first time in the history of the University of Iowa, which kicked off in 1889. Pick: Iowa 27, MSU 13
- Louisiana-Monroe at Kentucky, 6:00 p.m., FSS / SUN / FSSW / ESPN-GP - Go Underdog!
- Vanderbilt at South Carolina, 6:00 p.m., ESPNU (HD)
- Auburn at LSU, 6:30 p.m., ESPN2 (HD) - rooting for coach Gene Chizik today and thank ful he is not on the sidelines anymore in the State of Iowa or North of the Mason-Dixon Line
- Florida at Mississippi State, 6:30 p.m., ESPN (HD) - Not likely, but rooting for underdog!
- SMU at Houston, 6:30 p.m., CBSC (HD)
- TCU at BYU, 6:30 p.m., Versus (HD) - Good luck to Orrin Hatch's alma mater!
- Oregon State at USC, 7:00 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2
- Texas at Missouri, 7:00 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2 - Go Longhorns!
- UNLV at New Mexico, 7:00 p.m., Mtn.
- Arizona State at Stanford, 9:15 p.m., FSN (HD)
- Fresno State at New Mexico State, 9:15 p.m., ESPNU (HD) / ALT2? / Aggie Vision / BSN
- Boise State at Hawaii, 10:00 p.m., ESPN-GP / KTVB / Oceanic PPV (HD) - Upset Alert?
Games that haven't been scheduled for nationally available networks so far.
- Ball State at Eastern Michigan, 12:00 p.m.
- Buffalo at Western Michigan, 1:00 p.m. - Sorry coach Turner Gill, who I like!
- Central Florida at Rice, 2:30 p.m.
- Florida Atlantic at Louisiana-Lafayette, 4:00 p.m.
- Florida International at Arkansas State, 6:00 p.m.
- Kent State at Ohio,, 1:00 p.m. - Coach Frank Solich and the Ohio U. Bobcats!
- Maryland at Duke, 12:30 p.m., ESPN360
- Northern Illinois at Miami Ohio, 12:00 p.m.
- Temple at Toledo, 6:00 p.m.
- Texas A&M at Texas Tech, 6:00 p.m. - Coach Sherman needs some love after tough going in College Station leading Aggeis.
- Tulane at Southern Miss, 6:00 p.m., CSS / CST
- UAB at Marshall, 11:00 a.m., CSS / ?FCS Atlantic?
- Washington State at California, 3:30 p.m.
- Western Kentucky at Middle Tennessee, 2:30 p.m., CSS / CST
- #16 Cedar Rapids Prairie 3-6 @ #1 Clinton 9-0#9
- Davenport Assumption 5-4 @ #8 Cedar Falls 7-2
- #12 Pleasant Valley 5-4 @ #5 Cedar Rapids Xavier 7-2
- #13 Burlington 4-5 @ #4 Linn-Mar 8-1
- #14 Cedar Rapids Kennedy 4-5 @ #3 Bettendorf 8-1
- #13 North Scott 5-4 @ #6 Cedar Rapids Washington 7-2 @ Kingston Stadium
- #10 Davenport Central 5-4 @ #7 Dubuque Hempstead 7-2
- #15 Iowa City West 3-6 @ #2 Iowa City High 9-0
Class 4A - Western Iowa
- #16 Ames 3-6 @ #1 Dowling 9-0
- #9 Des Moines East 6-3 @ @8 Des Moines Lincoln 6-3
- #12 Valley 5-4 @ #5 Fort Dodge 7-2
- #13 Sioux City East 5-4 @ #4 Urbandale 7-2
- #14 Mason City 5-4 @ #3 Ankeny 8-1
- #13 Johnston 5-4 @ #6 Ottumwa 7-2
- #10 Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln 6-3 @ #7 Waukee 6-3
- #15 Indianola 4-5 @ #2 Marshalltown 9-0
Good luck to the Warriors in the 2009 Class 4A Playoffs.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Great game from the junior wide receiver out of the Cleveland, Ohio area. Johnson-Koulianos had game-high totals of eight receptions for 113 yards.
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Four top 4 teams all went close to the wire in games: Florida, Alabama, Texas and USC all were tested in Week 7. In the Big Ten, Ohio State falls @ Purdue, while Iowa and Penn State win important games. In the Big 12, the Red River Shootout went down to the wire and OU lost QB Sam Bradford to a shoulder injury again.
- Florida Gators (6-0, 4-0 SEC) - Beat Arkansas (3-3, 1-3 SEC) 23-20 at home. Next up: @ Mississippi State (3-4, 1-2 SEC), who won @ Middle Tennessee 27-6 in OOC play.
- Alabama Crimson Tide (7-0, 4-0 SEC) - Beat South Carolina (5-2, 2-2 SEC) 20-6 at home. Next up: vs. Tennessee (3-3, 1-2 SEC), who are coming off bye week.
- Texas Longhorns (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) - Beat Oklahoma in the Red River Shootout 16-13 to remain unbeaten. Next up: @ Missouri (4-2, 0-2 Big 12), who lost 17-33 @ Oklahoma State.
- USC Trojans (5-1, 2-1 Pac 10) - Won @ Notre Dame (4-2) 34-27 as the Fighting Irish came up short late. Next up: vs. Oregon State (4-2, 2-1 Pac 10), who are coming off bye week.
- Cincinnati Bearcats (6-0, 2-0 Big East) - Won @ South Florida (5-1, 1-1 Big East) 34-17. Next up: vs. Louisville (2-4, 0-2 Big East).
- Iowa Hawkeyes (7-0, 3-0 Big Ten) - The Hawkeyes won 20-10 @ Wisconsin (5-2, 2-2 Big Ten). Next up: @ Michigan State (4-3, 3-1), who have a 4 game win streak in East Lansing over the Hawkeyes. Hawkeyes have never started 8-0 in history dating back to 1889.
- Boise State Broncos (6-0, 1-0 WAC) - Won @ Tulsa (2-4, 0-3 C-USA) 28-21 in an interesting road game. Next up: @ Hawaii (2-4, 0-3 WAC) in a tough road environment.
- TCU Horned Frogs (6-0, 2-0 MWC) - Beat Colorado State (3-4, 0-3 MWC) 44-6 at home. Next up: @ #16 BYU (6-1, 3-0) vs. the Cougars who are leading MWC play at the moment.
- LSU Tigers (5-1, 3-1 SEC) - Enjoyed a bye week, after Week 6 loss vs. Florida 3-13. Next up: vs. Auburn (5-2, 2-2 SEC), who are both 2-3 behind Alabama in SEC West.
- Oregon Ducks (5-1, 3-0 Pac 10) - Won @ UCLA (3-3, 0-3 Pac 10) 24-10 to remain in first place in the Pac 10 race. Next up: @ Washington (3-4, 2-2) in dangerous game ahead of Week 9 game vs. USC.
- Miami-FL Hurricanes (5-1, 2-1 ACC) - Beat @ UCF (3-3, 1-2 C-USA) 27-7 on the road in in-state OOC play. Next up: vs. Clemson (3-3, 2-2 ACC) in inter-ACC division play.
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (6-1, 4-1 ACC) - Beat Virginia Tech (5-2, 2-1 ACC) 28-23 in Coastal Division play. Next up: @ Virginia (3-3, 2-0), who currently leads GT in Coastal Divsion play.
- Penn State Nittany Lions (6-1, 2-1 Big Ten) - Shutout Minnesota (4-3, 2-2 Big Ten) 20-0 at home. Next up: @ Michigan (5-2, 1-2) in the Big House.
- Oklahoma State Cowboys (5-1, 2-0 Big 12) - Beat Missouri (4-2, 0-2 Big 12) 33-17 at home. Next up: @ Baylor (3-3, 0-2 Big 12), who are missing their star QB the rest of the way.
- Virginia Tech Hokies (5-2, 3-1 ACC) - Lost @ Georgia Tech (6-1, 4-1 ACC) 23-28 in Coastal Division play. Next up: vs. North Carolina (4-3, 0-3 ACC) in ACC Division play.
- BYU Cougars (6-1, 3-0 MWC) - Won 38-28 @ San Diego State (2-4, 0-2 MWC) in conference play. Next up: vs. #8 TCU (6-0, 2-0 WAC) in MWC showdown in Provo.
- Ohio State Buckeyes (5-2, 2-1 Big Ten) - Lost @ Purdue (2-5, 1-2 Big Ten) 18-26 to end road winning streak in the conference. Next up: vs. Minnesota (4-3, 2-2 Big Ten).
- Houston Cougars (5-1, 1-1 C-USA) - Won @ Tulane (2-4, 0-3 C-USA) 44-16 to pick up a win on the C-USA road, after three straight road games. Next up: vs. SMU (3-3, 2-0 C-USA), who lead C-USA West.
- Utah Utes (5-1, 2-0 MWC) - Won 35-13 @ UNLV (2-5, 0-3 WAC) in MWC play. Next up: vs. Air Force (4-3, 3-1 MWC).
- Pittsburgh Panthers (6-1, 3-0 Big East) - Won @ Rutgers (5-2, 0-2 Big East) 24-17 on Friday night on the road in the conference. Next up: vs. South Florida (5-1, 1-1 Big East).
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (5-2, 2-1 Big 12) - Solid road victory for Red Raiders @ Nebraksa (4-2, 1-1 Big 12) 31-10. Next up: vs. Texas A&M (3-3, 0-2) in Big 12 South play.
- West Virginia Mountaineers (5-1, 1-0 Big East) - Beat Marshall (4-3, 2-1 C-USA) 24-7. Next up: vs. Connecticut (4-2, 1-1 Big East), who have never won at WVU.
- South Carolina Gamecocks (5-2, 2-2 SEC) - Lost @ Alabama (7-0, 4-0 SEC) 6-20 to go to .500 in SEC East. Next up: vs. Vanderbilt (2-5, 0-4 SEC) in SEC East play.
- Oklahoma Sooners (3-3, 1-1 Big 12) - The Sooners were beat in the Red River Shootout vs. Texas (6-0, 3-0) 13-16 in Dallas. Next up: @ Kansas (5-1, 1-1 Big 12), who are coming off upset loss at Colorado.
- Arizona Wildcats (4-2, 2-1 Pac 10) - Beat Stanford (4-3, 3-2 Pac 10) 43-38 in another shootout out West. Next up: vs. UCLA (3-3, 0-3 Pac 10) in an important conference game.
Game to Watch: Boston College (5-2, 3-2 ACC) @ Notre Dame (4-2) - as BC takes their ACC Atlantic Division lead into out of conference play @ South Bend. Can BC continue success over Notre Dame?
"They're not flashy. We know what they're going to do. They continued to do it
in the second half. You can't beat good teams if you have mistakes. You have to
have minimal mistakes against good teams. Especially a team like that because
they run the same stuff, they run the same stuff and they try to out-execute
you. That's what they did. They've got a heck of a team and they out-executed us
in the second half." - Chris Maragos, Wisconsin safety on the kind
of team Iowa is.
Wisconsin ran all over Iowa in the first half, churning 89 yards on 24 carries. The Hawkeyes held the Badgers to minus-2 yards on nine carries in the second half.
- Derrell Johnson-Koulianos over 100 yards receiving
- TDs by Iowa RB Adam Robinson and TE Tony Moeaki
- Iowa forces Wisconsin into 3 interceptions to lead the FBS in that stat!
- Solid coaching game plan in Madison for the Hawkeyes!
No. 11 Iowa stays perfect, beats Wisconsin 20-10 - The Associated Press
11 Iowa needed a second-half road rally to keep its perfect season alive, coming back to beat Wisconsin 20-10 Saturday. Trailing by a touchdown at halftime, ...
Iowa football: Hawkeyes win, alone in 1st in Big Ten -DesMoinesRegister.com
Iowa rallied in the second half to beat Wisconsin 20-10 today to stay unbeaten. The victory, coupled with Ohio State's loss at Purdue, propelled the ...
Final: Iowa 20, Wisconsin 10 - ESPN
Big second half sends Iowa to 20-10 victory over Wisconsin - Journal Times
As Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said after the loss at Purdue today, "Football is a game of pressure!" Iowa moves to the top of the Big Ten standings at 3-0, with Purdue's 26-18 win in West Lafayette, over Ohio State (2-1).
- Iowa Hawkeyes 34
- Wisconsin Badgers 29
Keys to the Game:
- Line of scrimmage - line play
- Special Teams
- Coaching adjustments
- Who makes the big plays or gives them up
Iowa looks to spoil the Badgers Homecoming. In '02, Iowa went into Ann Arbor and took the Wolverines down for Victory. Iowa is the Underdog today, so look for the Hawkeyes to pull off the upset in Madison today.
On Iowa! vs. Bucky Badger!
Friday, October 16, 2009
- Iowa (2-0) 25.5 on offense; 19.0 on defense
- Wisconsin (2-1) 27.3 on offense; 29.7 on defense
- Best offense Iowa has faced: Michigan; best defense Iowa has faced: Penn State
- Best offense UW has faced: Minnesota; best defense UW has faced: Ohio State
It's a little strange to watch the Big Ten Network talk about Turnover Margin in favor of the Badgers, because when you throw out the OOC and look at Big Ten conference games, which is what really matters for the Hawkeyes, Badgers and nine other Big Ten teams.
- Iowa is #1 in the Big Ten in Turnover Margin at a +3
- Wisconsin is +0.67 after three games vs. Michigan State, @ Minnesota and @ OSU
- While Wisconsin was better in the OOC in Turnover Margin, QB Scott Tolzien is at 3 interceptions, as does Iowa's QB Ricky Stanzi, who is at 3 as well
- Wisconsin has fumbled the ball more than Iowa in '09
Pass Efficiency is an interesting statistic on offense and defense.
- Iowa's defense is #1 in pass efficiency, while the offense is #9 in the conference
- Wisconsin's defense is #9 in pass efficiency, while offense is #5 in the conference
- So, it appears it is weakness vs. weakness, while Iowa is on offense
- It may be Iowa's strength, to a UW passing attack that has improved over '08, but just how far have they come
Iowa has the second longest winning streak in FBS. #1 Florida has the longest winning streak in FBS right now. Iowa has won 2 of the last 3 games in Madison, though UW beat Iowa 17-13 in '07. Iowa lost 7-27 in '07 at Penn State. This season, the Hawkeyes picked up a big victory 21-10 in Happy Valley. Iowa enters the game 2-0 on the season in road game. The Hawkeyes beat rival Iowa State in Ames 35-3 this season to win the Cy-Hawk series trophy. Can Iowa keep the win streak going this weekend in Madison?
Ringing up the First Downs in conference play.
- Wisconsin leads the Big Ten on offense in First Downs
- Iowa leads the Big Ten on defense in allowing the fewest First Downs per game
- Wisconsin's defense ranks fifth, while Iowa's offense ranks 10Th
- Wisconsin ran up some outstanding stats in Columbus last weekend on offense and the defense was favorable. But, UW lost to OSU 13-31 fueled by Pick 6s and allowing a special teams touchdown
The Red Zone is always on the mind of coordinators and measuring production of teams.
- Wisconsin's offense ranks #6, while the defense ranks #5 in the conference
- Iowa's offense ranks #8, while the defense ranks #9
- Iowa's defense gave up their first rushing touchdowns of the season vs. Michigan last week
- It will be an interesting chess match between rivals Kirk Ferentz and Bret Bielema, who served under Ferentz as an assistant at Iowa before moving onto Kansas State
There are some very good conference performers who are expected to take the field on Saturday in Madison.
- #1 rusher RB John Clay for Wisconsin; Iowa's RB Adam Robinson ranks #5
- Wisconsin TE Garrett Graham is an outstanding senior; while Iowa's senior TE Tony Moeaki has had two outstanding games this season, including national honors as the top TE performer for Week 6, in helping lead Iowa to a 27-25 win over Michigan
- Iowa's WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos enters the game as the top WR statistically
- The battle of a pair of junior QBs will feature Iowa's Ricky Stanzi, who has been down, with 3 Pick 6s this season, but still has lead Iowa to a 6-0 record thus far. UW's Scott Tolzien is in his first season as a starter for the Badgers and has them 5-1 at this point, after a 3-3 mark in '08
- Iowa PK Daniel Murray leads the conference in scoring and tied for #1 in field goals made
- Iowa PR Colin Sandeman is #1 in punt returning
- Iowa LBs Pat Angerer and Jeremiha Hunter are 1-2 in tackles, while third LB AJ Edds is also among the Top 20 in the conference in tackles.
- Wisconsin freshman LB Mike Taylor leads the Badgers and is #23 in the conference
- Wisconsin DE O'Brien Schofield is #1 in sacks and tackles for loss in the conference
- Iowa has several player makers on defense forcing fumbles and picking up INTs
- Iowa DE Broderick Binns is among the top defenders in the conference breaking up passes from is defensive line position with his long arms
Special teams will be an interesting area to watch in Madison on Saturday. Iowa's success under Kirk Ferentz has been fueled pretty heavily over the past ten plus years with strong special teams. Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema takes the role personally with the Badger special teams. This area of the game could be huge in determining the outcome of the game. Iowa has fueled both wins in the Big Ten with better field position than their opponents.peace
Saturday, October 3, 2009
- Arkansas State at #14 Iowa, 11:00 a.m., ESPN2 (HD) - Iowa to take out Red Wolves 35-12
- Clemson at Maryland, 11:00 a.m., ESPNU (HD) - Clemson get back on track on road
- East Carolina at Marshall, 11:00 a.m., CBSC (HD) - '09 hasn't been quite like '08 for the Pirates
- Michigan at Michigan State, 11:00 a.m., BTN (HD) - Our unranked Wolverines face first road test of '09 in a big game for both the Spartans and Wolverines.
- Northwestern at Purdue, 11:00 a.m., BTN (HD) - Big game for two rebuilding Big Ten teams!
- #23 South Florida at Syracuse, 11:00 a.m., MASN / ESPN-GP / ERTV (cable) - Agree, upset alert in the Big East as South Florida travels to Syracuse to open Big East play
- Toledo at Ball State, 11:00 a.m., ESPN-GP / ERTV (cable) - Ball State isn't the same team this season... look for them to be rocketed!
- Virginia at North Carolina, 11:00 a.m., ESPN-GP *2 / Raycom (HD) *3 / online - Not been on the Tar Heel bandwagon, but they should get back to winning today, at home!
- Wisconsin at Minnesota, 11:00 a.m., ESPN (HD) - Another Big Ten team facing first road test of '09.
- #3 Alabama at Kentucky, 11:21 a.m., ESPN-GP / SEC Network *4 - Will this game be close?
- Kansas State at Iowa State (Kansas City), 2:00 p.m., FCS - DirecTV 617 / FCS Central (cable) - Here's to Cyclones picking up the first Big 12 win of the Paul Rhoades era!
- Air Force at Navy, 2:30 p.m., CBSC (HD) - Love to see rivalry football, Go Navy!
- Florida International at Louisiana-Monroe, 2:30 p.m., ESPN-GP *2 / CSS / CST - Here's to an upset on the road in Sun Belt football!
- Florida State at Boston College, 2:30 p.m., (ABC *1 / ESPN *7) (HD) / ESPN-GP *2 - Can't go against a fellow Jesuit program, who carries the banner in the FBS for us!
- #5 LSU at #12 Georgia, 2:30 p.m., CBS (HD) / Online - Visitor has lost 5 of 7 and Bulldogs won on road last year 52-38. Payback?
- New Mexico at Texas Tech, 2:30 p.m., FSN (HD) - The Red Raiders lost the last meeting in '04, but that was on the road, so Red Raiders hope to end two game losing streak today!
- North Carolina State at Wake Forest, 2:30 p.m., ESPNU (HD) - Deamon Deacons look to win four straight at home in this series!
- #20 Penn State at Illinois, 2:30 p.m., (ESPN *7 / ABC *1) (HD) - An 0-2 is not a good formula to compete with the best in the Big Ten, so one of these contenders is out after today?
- UCLA at Stanford, 2:30 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2 - The Bruins go for their sixth straight win in this series to continue to spoil coach Jim Harbaugh's climb.
- Washington at Notre Dame, 2:30 p.m., NBC (HD) - The Huskies are 0-7 vs. the Fighting Irish, so why am I rooting for the Huskies today?
- Western Michigan at Northern Illinois, 2:30 p.m., CSNC / ESPN-GP *2 - The other Huskies have lost three straight games in this series by a total of nine points, ouch!
- Kent State at Baylor, 6:00 p.m., FSSW - Do the Bears have a replacement for talented QB Robert Griffin, who is out of the year?
- #8 Ohio State at Indiana, 6:00 p.m., BTN (HD) - The Buckeyes look to make it 15 straight in the series, this time in Bloomington!
- Ole Miss at #22 Vanderbilt, 6:00 p.m., ESPNU (HD) - Wow, judgement day for the Rebels, since they have lost two straight games to Vandy, even at home last year 17-23.
- Oregon State at Arizona State, 6:00 p.m.. Versus (HD) - Phil Steele commented about the last visit the Beavers visited Tempe, OSU blew a 19-0 lead to fall 32-44.
- South Carolina State at South Carolina, 6:00 p.m., ESPN Classic - In '07, the Gamecocks beat the FCS-MEAC team 38-3, the only previous meeting in the series.
- Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (Arlington), 6:30 p.m., ESPN2 (HD) - A SEC-Big 12 match up in Arlington, where the Sooners lost in Week 1 in a Big 12-MWC match up, so is Arlington good for the Big 12 this year?
- #13 Georgia Tech at Mississippi State, 6:30 p.m., ESPN-GP / CSS / CST - An ACC-SEC match up in Sparksville, by the way, in this series the Bulldogs are 0-3 all-time.
- Tulsa at Rice, 6:30 p.m., CBSC (HD) - The Golden Hurricane seek to go to six of the last seven vs. Rice, including four straight on the road.
- Auburn at Tennessee, 6:45 p.m., ESPN (HD) - Two freshmen coaches in the SEC square off in Knoxsville, so something will have to give today.
- #11 Oklahoma at #10 Miami-FL, 7:00 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2 - The Sooners lost in Week 1 on a neutral field vs. BYU, so now the first real road test comes in South Beach, watch out!
- SMU at #17 TCU, 7:00 p.m., Mtn. - A rivalry game between the C-USA-MWC teams, which the Mustangs played spoiler in '05, after the Horned Frogs beat OU on the road to open season.
- UC Davis at #9 Boise State, 7:00 p.m., ESPN-GP / KTVB - This expected to be an ugly game on blue turf in Boise.
- #4 USC at #t25 California, 7:00 p.m., ABC *1 (HD) / ESPN-GP *2 - The Trojans are going for six straight in this series, but a setback could cost the Trojans for the first time, since '01.
- Colorado State at Idaho, 9:30 p.m., ESPNU - The Rams and the Vandels haven't met, since '92 ... the Rams lost @ BYU last week, while the Vandels beat Northern Illinois.
Games that haven't been scheduled for nationally available networks so far.
- Central Michigan at Buffalo, 2:30 p.m., TWS - A big game in the MAC this weekend, with the Chippewas hoping to take out the defending MAC game champs on the road.
- # 7 Cincinnati at Miami Ohio, 12:00 p.m., ESPN 360 - The Bearcats are off to a strong start in '09 and face battle of Ohio schools from Big East and MAC this week.
- #18 Houston at UTEP, 8:00 p.m. - This often is a very close and competitive game of late, so the Cougars must be careful hitting the road for the C-USA opener.
- Memphis at Central Florida, 2:30 p.m., BHSN - C-USA battle today ...
- New Mexico State at San Diego State, 7:00 p.m. - Another WAC-MWC game with bragging rights on the line ...
- Ohio U at Bowling Green, 3:00 p.m., BCSN - The Bobcats hope to ruin the Falcons Homecoming today!
- Temple at Eastern Michigan, 12:00 p.m. - Both head coaches promote defense, but will offense prevail for one of these MAC teams?
- Tulane at Army, 11:00 a.m., Tape delay at 10:30 p.m. on CBSC (HD) - Can the Black Knights get back in the win column today, after pulling off two straight vs. Tulane?
- UNLV at Nevada, 3:00 p.m. - Battle of MWC-WAC teams, with both teams are coming off losses and the Wolf Pack looking to get first win of the season.
- #6 Virginia Tech at Duke, 11:00 a.m., ESPN 360 - Some suggest a trap for the Hokies, but Duke has lost the last eight games in this series, with only one conference win in the past four seasons.
- Washington State at #15 Oregon, 8:15 p.m., OSN - Odd talk in Eugene about LeGarrette Blount coming back in November, if he meets certain team goals, distraction for Ducks?
- Wyoming at Florida Atlantic, 3:00 p.m. - The Owls host the Cowboys, who are 7-0 vs. current Sun Belt teams lifetime, so something will give today.
By the way, #1 Florida, #2 Texas, #16 Nebraska, #19 Oklahoma State,#24 Kansas and #t25 Missouri all idle today and will be getting ready for showdowns in Week 6. It should be a great start in October, as we witnessed some fireworks thus far in September in college football.
Friday, October 2, 2009
- Pittsburgh at Louisville
- Utah State at #21 BYU
The first Friday of the 4Th quarter and EPSPN2 and the MTN Network each have a game between Big East teams and an intra state rivalry, respectively. The Pitt Panthers took care of business last year 41-7 over Louisville, but will a road test to open the Big East slate of the season for the Panthers be a 'trap' for coach Dave Wannstedt's team?
BYU has won nine straight in this in-state series. Last year, the Cougars won on the road 34-14. The last time in Provo, it was a BYU win 38-0 in '06
Thursday, October 1, 2009
The Washington Warriors take care of business at Kingston Stadium over the Iowa City West High Trojans. Nice victory and a great game for RB Andre Dawson, with over 200 yards rushing, topping the 1000 yard mark for the season and 4 TDs.
(4 Andre Dawson, picture, from previous game) Washington is now 4-2 for the season, with both losses to undefeated City High and Linn Mar.
Homecoming Victory for the Warriors tonight over Trojans! Next up: C.R. Jefferson at Kingston on 10/9. Look for Pink Jerseys for the Warriors next week!
Go Warriors! On Homecoming '09.