- 1. LSU Tigers (4-0, 2-0 SEC) - They are the defending BCS champs and they have handled all teams to date in '08, with a new QB and only nine starters (5 offense, 4 defense) back this season. Next up: Bye Week, then at #13 Florida (3-1, 1-1 SEC) on 10/11 in Week 7.
- Oklahoma Sooners (4-0) - Raining top team from the Big 12 Conference, looking for first BCS Title Game, since 2004 season. Next up: at Baylor (2-2) in Big 12 opener this week!
- Alabama Crimson Tide (5-0, 2-0 SEC) - Impressive start for coach Nick Saban in year 2 at Bama, how long can the magic last? Next up: vs. Kentucky (4-0), who face a hot
Bama team in their SEC opener on Saturday.
- Texas Longhorns (4-0) - The Longhorns are showing they appear to be a strong team with a veteran QB at the helm. Next up: at Colorado (3-1) in Big 12 opener.
- Missouri Tigers (4-0) - Sorry, I can't reward coach Gary Pinkel's team too much, until they get through the Big 12 Conference... lead by super QB Chase Daniel, a senior. Next up: at Nebraska (3-1) in Big 12 opener this week!
- Penn State Nittany Lions (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) - This could be a Cinderella end to a storied tenure under Joe Pa in '08! Next up: at Purdue (2-2), who open Big Ten play at home vs. Nittany Lions.
- USC (2-1, 0-1 Pac 10) - The Trojans were a disappointment in their Pac 10 opener on the road at unranked Oregon State (2-2, 1-1 Pac 10) in Week 5, but other upsets will give them a little light at the end of the tunnel to work their way back. Next up: vs. #21 Oregon (4-1, 2-0 Pac 10).
- Brigham Young Cougars (4-0, 1-0 MWC) - Clearly, the Cougars carry the top non-BCS program banner in '08. Next up: at Utah State (1-3, 1-0 WAC) on Friday.
- Georgia Bulldogs (4-1, 1-1 SEC) - Tough schedule found their first bump with home loss to now #3 Alabama (5-0, 2-0 SEC). Next up: Bye week, with Tennessee (1-3, 0-2 SEC) up in Week 7 on 10/11.
- Ohio State (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) - Shaky start in '08 with blow out loss at USC in Week 3, but the Buckeyes are still the most consistent contender in the Big Ten. Next up: at #16 Wisconsin (3-1, 0-1 Big Ten) in huge Big Ten test for Buckeyes.
- Auburn Tigers (4-1, 2-1 SEC) - The Tigers are a half game back behind LSU and Alabama in the SEC West... key road test this week in SEC. Next up: at #18 Vanderbilt (4-0, 2-0 SEC) on Saturday.
- Utah Utes (5-0, 2-0) - The MWC is carrying the non-BCS conference torch in '08, after the WAC carried it the past two seasons. Next up: vs Oregon State (2-2, 1-1 Pac 10)... can they keep the role of Galieth vs. Beavers, who earned it vs. USC?
- Florida Gators (3-1, 1-1 SEC) - Coach Urban Meyer will have to get things cleaned up as Gators fall at home vs. unranked Ole Miss (3-2, 1-1 SEC) in Week 5. Next up: at Arkansas (2-2, 0-1 SEC).
- South Florida Bulls (5-0) - Off to strong start holding the banner for the Big East right now. Next up: vs. Pittsburgh (3-1, 1-0 Big East), as USF opens conference play in '08.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (4-0) - Hard to give the Red Raiders and coach Mike Leach to high of marks with a schedule of two FCS opponents and zero BCS conference opponents to date. Next up: at Kansas State (3-1) in Big 12 opener for both teams.
- Wisconsin Badgers (3-1, 0-1 Big Ten) - Positive first half in Ann Arbor vs. Michigan (2-2, 1-0) didn't turn out well as Badgers open '08 in the Big Ten with a loss 25-27. Next up: vs. #10 Ohio State (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) in home opener in the Big Ten.
- Virginia Tech (4-1, 2-0 ACC) - The Hokies opened the season with a disappointing loss at ECU (3-2, 1-0 C-USA). but is moving forward now. Next up: vs. Western Kentucky.
- Vanderbilt Commodores (4-0, 2-0) - The Commodores under coach Bobby Johnson are off to a very good start in '08. Next up: vs. #11 Auburn (4-1, 2-1 SEC)
- Boise State Broncos (3-0) - With only three game through September, the Broncos have a long road ahead in the final two months of the regular season. Next up: vs. Louisiana State (2-1) in WAC opener on Wednesday 10/1.
- Fresno State Bulldogs (3-1) - The Bulldogs only loss is against a Big Ten school (Wisconsin) at home, with all three wins coming on the road (Rutgers, Toledo and UCLA). Next up: vs. Hawaii (1-3, 0-1) to open WAC play in '08.
- Oregon Ducks (4-1, 2-0 Pac 10) - The Pac 10 race is in the Ducks hands with two down and seven games to go. Next up: at #7 USC (2-1, 0-1 Pac 10) in huge game on Saturday.
- Kansas Jayhawks (3-1) - The Jayhawks didn't weather the first four tests of '08, as they did in their Cinderella '07 season. Next up: at Iowa State (2-2) in the Big 12 opener for both schools.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (3-1, 1-0 ACC) - The Demon Deacons were knocked off in Week 5 by Navy (3-2), after three good early tests. Next up: Bye week, with ACC test vs. Clemson (3-2, 1-1 ACC) in Week 7 on 10/9.
- Connecticut Huskies (5-0, 1-0 Big East) - The Big East has taken some knocks in '08, so far, but the Huskies are moving up the ladder as they are in conference play now. Next up: at North Carolina (3-1, 1-1 ACC) for a dangerous road test in Week 6.
- Tulsa Golden Hurricane (4-0, 1-0 C-USA) - Coach Todd Graham has the Golden Hurricane off to a good start in his third season. Next up: vs. Rice (4-0, 2-0 C-USA), who are ahead of Tulsa currently in the West Division standings.
Teams Out of the Top 25 after Week 5 - TCU Horned Frogs (4-1, 1-0 MWC), Clemson Tigers (3-2, 1-1 ACC) and East Carolina Pirates (3-2, 1-1 C-USA),
Teams to Watch: Oklahoma State Cowboys (4-0), Northwestern Wildcats (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten), Ball State (5-0, 2-0 MAC) and Kentucky (4-0), who are the remaining undefeated non-Top 25 teams in FBS, after Week 5.