In Iowa City, the Iowa Hawkeyes (5-3, 2-2 Big Ten) hosted Wisconsin (3-4, 0-4 Big Ten) on a beautiful day for football. The Hawkeyes took down the Badgers 38-16 to win the Heartland Trophy back.
The first BCS Poll will be out on Monday. Here's my Week 8 College Football Top 25:
- Texas Longhorns (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) - What can a national program + a quality/experienced QB + solid line play on both sides of the ball =? Very simple, a #1 rating and QB Colt McCoy has the Longhorns playing well... Longhorns defeat then #13 Missouri (5-2, 1-2 Big 12) 56-31 in Austin. Next up: vs. Oklahoma State (7-0, 3-0 Big 12), for the third straight big game for the Longhorns!
- Penn State Nittany Lions (8-0, 4-0 Big Ten) - The Nittany Lions end a nine-game skid to Michigan (2-5, 1-2 Big Ten), coming from behind in the third quarter to win 46-17 at Happy Valley. Next up: at #9 Ohio State (7-1, 4-0 Big Ten), which has been a tough place in the past for Joe Pa.
- Alabama Crimson Tide (7-0, 4-0 SEC) - The Crimson Tide hold off a Mississippi (3-4, 1-3 SEC) come back to win 24-20 at home. Next up: at Tennessee (3-4, 1-3 SEC) next!
- Southern Cal Trojans (5-1, 3-1 Pac 10) - The Trojans road trip to Washington State (1-7, 0-5 Pac 10) ends in a 69-0 rout against one of the weakest BCS teams right now. Next up: at Arizona (5-2, 3-1 Pac 10) vs. another quad-leader in the Pac 10 (Oregon/Oregon State, other 2).
- Florida Gators (5-1, 3-1 SEC) - Good time for a bye week! Next up: vs. Kentucky (5-2, 1-2 SEC) on Homecoming for the Gators!
- Georgia Bulldogs (6-1, 3-1 SEC) - Bulldogs win another important home SEC game in back to back weeks vs. former #17 Vanderbilt (5-2, 3-2 SEC) 24-14. Next up: at #7 LSU (5-1, 3-1 SEC).
- Oklahoma Sooners (6-1, 2-1 Big 12) - The Sooners take out former #19 Kansas (5-2, 2-1) 45-31 on Homecoming to get back on the winning track, after losing Red River Rivalry the week before! Next up: at Kansas State (4-3, 1-2 Big 12) for the second of three straight vs. Big 12 North opponents.
- LSU Tigers (5-1, 3-1 SEC) - The Tigers win 24-17 at South Carolina (5-3, 2-3 SEC) in another SEC road test and to get back on the winning track after tough loss at Florida the week before. Next up: vs. #6 Georgia (6-1, 3-1 SEC) for a huge SEC home test!
- Ohio State Buckeyes (7-1, 4-0 Big Ten) - The Buckeyes win big 45-7 at former #21 Michigan State (6-2, 3-1 Big Ten) to get ready for next week's Big Ten showdown. Next up: vs. #2 Penn State (8-0, 4-0 Big Ten) for the lead in the Big Ten conference race!
- Oklahoma State Cowboys (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) - Cowboys win their Homecoming game 34-7 over Baylor (3-4, 1-2 Big 12) and earn a birth into this week's Top 10. Next up: vs. #1 Texas (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) in showdown between 2 out of 3 tri-leaders in Big 12 South!
- Utah Utes (8-0, 4-0 MWC) - The Utes 49-16 home win over Colorado State (3-4, 1-2 MWC) keeps the Utes on the right path in the MWC and in line for honors as the top non-BCS team for '08. Next up: Bye week before road date with UNM in November.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) - The Red Raiders keep knocking out wins with a 43-25 victory at Texas A&M (2-5, 0-3 Big 12). Next up: at Kansas (5-2, 2-1) verse a likely hungry Jayhawks team.
- Boise State Broncos (6-0, 2-0 WAC) - The Broncos win 27-7 in Friday night WAC game over Hawaii (3-4, 2-2 WAC) to move up to Lucky 13 spot. Next up: at San Jose State (5-2, 3-0 WAC) for a showdown for lead in the WAC race.
- TCU Horned Frogs (7-1, 4-0 MWC) - The Horned Frogs knock off then #6 Brigham Young (6-1, 2-1 MWC) 32-7 in a Thursday night home game to move up in the Top 25. Next up: vs. Wyoming (2-5, 0-4 MWC) in another MWC game.
- Missouri Tigers (5-2, 1-2 Big 12) - Coach Gary Pinkel will have to regroup again after #1 Texas (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) defeats the Tigers 31-56 in Austin. Next up:
- South Florida Bulls (6-1, 1-1 Big East) - The Bulls win in the Big East 45-13 over Syracuse (1-6, 0-3 Big East) at home. Next up: at Louisville (4-2, 0-1 Big East) in important road test.
- Tulsa Golden Hurricane (7-0, 4-0 C-USA) - Tulsa continues its undefeated season with a 77-35 home win over UTEP (3-4, 3-1 C-USA). Next up: vs. Central Florida (2-4, 1-1 C-USA) in a Sunday game in Week 8.
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (6-1, 3-1 ACC) - Georgia Tech's 21-17 win at Clemson (3-4, 1-3 ACC) helps keep the Jackets in the lead in the ACC Coastal Division. Next up: vs. Virginia (4-3, 2-1 ACC) in a key Coastal Division match up.
- Brigham Young Cougars (6-1, 2-1 MWC) - The Cougars drop their first game of the season in a big conference road game at former #25 TCU (7-1, 4-0 MWC). Next up: vs. UNLV (3-4, 0-3 MWC) in an important rebound game for the Cougars, after first loss of season.
- Kansas Jayhawks (5-2, 2-1 Big 12) - The Jayhawks lost 31-45 at then #8 Oklahoma (6-1, 2-1 Big 12) in tough road loss. Next up: vs. #12 Texas Tech (7-0, 3-0 Big 12) in an important Big 12 North/South match up.
- Florida State Seminoles (5-1, 2-1 ACC) - The Seminoles pick up a good ACC road win at North Carolina State (2-5, 0-3 ACC) to stay in a four way tie a top the Atlantic Division (w/ BC, MD, Wake). Next up: vs. Virginia Tech (5-2, 2-1 ACC) in another key ACC match up.
- Michigan State Spartans - (6-2, 3-1 Big Ten) - The Spartans will have to regroup after 7-45 defeat at home to then #10 Ohio State (7-1, 4-0 Big Ten), where coach Mark Dantonio was a former DC. Next up: at Michigan (2-5, 1-2 Big Ten) in a huge intra-state conference battle.
- Ball State Cardinals (7-0, 3-0 MAC) - Timely bye Week in Week 8 for the Cardinals, who are one of two teams undefeated in MAC play (w/ CMU 4-0). Next up: vs. Eastern Michigan (2-6, 1-3 MAC) in conference play.
- Northwestern Wildcats (6-1, 2-1 Big Ten) - The Wildcats pound Purdue (2-5, 0-3 Big Ten) 48-26 to get back on winning track, after lost to MSU the week before. Next up: at Indiana (2-5, 0-4 Big Ten) back on the road in the Big Ten.
- Pittsburgh Panthers (5-1, 2-0 Big East) - The Panthers win 42-21 in an OOC road game at Navy (4-3). Next up: vs. Rutgers (2-5, 1-2 Big East), returning to conference play.
Team Out of the Top 25 after Week 8 - Virginia Tech Hokies (5-2 2-1 ACC), Vanderbilt Commodores (5-2, 3-2 SEC), Wake Forest Demon Deacons (4-2, 2-1 ACC), North Carolina Tar Heels (5-2, 1-2 ACC).
Teams to Watch: Arizona Wildcats (5-2, 3-1 Pac Ten) - who have key home game vs. #4 USC, while the Minnesota Golden Gophers (6-1, 2-1 Big Ten) - who have their 2nd key Big Ten road game this week in back to back games, after a bye week in between.
Game of the Week - Several to choose from...