Week 1 and Week 2 are now in the books. A tough Week 2 for the Big Ten and some big upsets around the BCS, including a huge one involving a SEC West team!
CIDSports Top 25
1. Alabama (2-0) - the Crimson Tide are a clear #1 after last year's BCS title and the wins over Michigan (41-14) in Arlington and Western Kentucky (35-0) to kick off '12. Week 3: @ Arkansas (1-1) in the SEC West opener for '12.
2. LSU (2-0) 1 - the defending SEC champions and BCS runner-up is off to a solid start in '12 with wins over North Texas (41-14) and Washington (41-3). Week 3: vs. Idaho (0-2) in a clear mismatch that the Tigers can enjoy before the SEC opener in Week 4.
3. Oregon (2-0) 2 - the Ducks have enjoyed two high scoring games to kick off '12 with wins over Arkansas State (57-34) and Fresno State (42-25). Week 3: vs. Tennessee Tech (2-0), a FCS that were co-champs of the Ohio Valley in '11. Tech is 0-27 vs. FBS programs, ouch!
4. USC (2-0) 3 - the Trojans are off to a good start, but Week 2 was tougher than Week 1. Trojans opened with Hawaii (49-10), then East Coast trip to East Rutherford vs. Syracuse (42-29). Week 3: @ #_ Stanford (2-0) to open Pac 12 play. Last year, the Cardinal won 56-48 in 3 OT on the road vs. the Trojans.
5. Oklahoma (2-0) 7 - the Sooners move up, after two Top 10 teams fall in Week 2. The Sooners have wins over UTEP (24-7) and Florida A&M (69-13) and will enjoy a bye, Week 3. Next up: vs. #_ Kansas State (2-0) to open Big 12 play in Week 4.
6. South Carolina (2-0, 1-0 SEC East) 8 - the Gamecocks opened '12 with a SEC East road win @ Vanderbilt (17-13), followed by a win vs. East Carolina (48-10). Week 3: vs. UAB (0-1), where coach Steve Spurrier takes a 45-0 record vs. non-BCS opponents as a head coach.
7. Stanford (2-0) 9 - the Cardinal have had two straight solid years and open '12 with two wins over San Jose State (20-17) and vs. Duke (50-13). Week 3: vs. #4 USC (2-0) in the Pac 12 opener.
8. West Virginia (1-0) 10 - the Mountaineers beat Marshall (69-34) in Week 1, then enjoyed a bye week. Week 3: vs. James Madison (2-0) in Landover, MD.
9. Michigan State (2-0) 12 - the Spartans are the top Big Ten team, after an ugly Week 2 for the Conference going 6-6. The Spartans opened '12 with wins over Boise State (17-13) and @ Central Michigan (41-7). Week 3: vs. #20 Notre Dame (2-0) in a series where nine of the last 12 games have been decided by single points, including 34-31 in OT last time in East Lansing in '10. Fighting Irish crushed the Spartans last year, so payback alert?
10. Georgia (2-0, 1-0 SEC East) 13 - the Bulldogs opened SEC East play in Week 2 with a win @ Missouri (41-20), after an opening season win vs. Buffalo (45-23). Week 3: vs. Florida Atlantic (1-1, 0-1 Sun Belt), who lost conference opener last week under new coach Carl Pelini.
11. Clemson (2-0) 14 - the Tigers opens '12 with wins over Auburn (26-19) in Atlanta and vs. Ball State (52-27). Week 3: vs. Furman (0-2) as Tigers enjoy tune up before ACC opener in Week 4 @ #12 Florida State.
12. Florida State (2-0) 15 - the Seminoles opened vs. two-FCS opponents to kick off '12 with wins over Murray State (69-3) and Savannah State (55-0). Week 3: vs. Wake Forest (2-0) in the ACC Atlantic opener in a series Wake has won 4 of last 6, including last season.
13. TCU (1-0) 16 - the Horned Frogs open '12 in Week 2 with a win over Grambling (56-0). Week 3: @ Kansas (1-1) for the Big 12 opener, after moving over from the MWC, where they were undefeated the final three seasons.
14. Virginia Tech (2-0, 1-0 ACC Coastal) 18 - the Hokies open '12 with a Labor Day win vs. Georgia Tech (20-17) in OT and vs. Austin Peay (42-7). Week 3: @ Pittsburgh (0-2, 0-1 Big East) against their former Big East rivals, the Panthers, who will be joining the ACC next year.
15. Kansas State (2-0) 23 - the Wildcats picked up a solid win in Week 2 vs. Miami-FL (52-13), after opening '12 vs. Missouri State (51-9). Week 3: vs. North Texas (1-1) in what could be a trap game before Big 12 opener in Week 4 @ OU?
16. Michigan (2-0) 17 - the Wolverines got rocked in the Week 1 opener vs. #1 Alabama (41-13) in Arlington, then held on at home vs. Air Force (31-25). Week 3: vs. UMass (0-2) before heading to South Bend to face Notre Dame in Week 4.
17. Texas (2-0) 19 - the Longhorns opened with back to back MWC wins vs. Wyoming (37-17) and New Mexico (45-0) to open '12. Week 3: @ Ole Miss (2-0) in a dangerous Big 12-SEC road game.
18. Florida (2-0, 1-0 SEC East) 21 - the Gators win SEC opener @ Texas A&M (20-17) in Week 2, after opening season with win over Bowling Green (27-13). Week 3: @ #25 Tennessee (2-0) for the first SEC East showdown and the first Top 25 showdown vs. Volunteers, since '07.
19. Ohio State (2-0) nr - the Buckeyes struggled in '11 finishing 6-7, after 24-17 Gator Bowl loss to Florida, the first losing season since '88. The Buckeyes opened '12 with wins over Miami-OH (54-10) and vs. Central Florida (31-16). Week 3: vs. California (1-1), who the Buckeyes own a 5-1 record over the Golden Bears, but haven't played since '72.
20. Notre Dame (2-0) nr - the Fighting Irish opened the season in Dublin with a win over Navy (50-10), then the first of three with the Big Ten, with a win in home opener vs. Purdue (20-17). Week 3: @ #9 Michigan State (2-0), as the Fighting Irish announced this week that they are joining the ACC in all sports other than football.
21. Oklahoma State (1-1) 6 - the Cowboys won the Big 12 last year, but unlike '11, fell in Week 2 @ Arizona (59-38), after opening the season with win vs. Savannah State (84-0). Week 3: vs. Lousiana-Lafayette (2-0, 1-0 Sun Belt), who beat Lamar (40-0) to open season, then @ Troy (37-24) in Sun Belt opener.
22. UCLA (2-0) nr - the Bruins have kicked off the Jim Mora, Jr. era with two wins @ Rice (49-24) and vs. Nebraska (36-30) to jump into the Top 25 early in '12. Week 3: vs. Houston (0-2), who were upset in opener to Texas State (30-13), then lost to Lousiana Tech (56-49) to open '12.
23. Baylor (1-0) 24 - the Bears opened season in Week 1 over SMU (59-24), then enjoyed a bye week. Week 3: vs. Louisiana-Monroe (1-0), who is coming off upset win @ Arkansas (34-31).
24. Louisville (2-0) 25 - the Cardinals opened Week 1 with a win over Kentucky (34-14), then followed it up with a win vs. Missouri State (35-7) to open '12. Week 3: vs. UNC (1-1) in an important Big East-ACC match up at home, which the Tar Heels won 14-7 last year.
25. Tennessee (2-0) nr - the Volunteers enter the Top 25 after wins over North Carolina State (35-21) in Atlanta, then at home vs. Georgia State (51-13). Next up: vs. #18 Florida (2-0, 1-0 SEC East) in the Volunteers SEC opener of '12.
Out of Top 25 after Week 2:
Ranked # 5 heading into '12, but Arkansas (1-1) fell at home to Louisina-Monroe (1-0) 34-31 to fall out of the Top 25, after QB Tyler Wilson suffers head injury. Former #11 Wisconsin (1-1) lost @ Oregon State (1-0) 10-7, after a sluggish opening win vs. Northern Iowa (26-21). Former #20 Nebraska (1-1) lost @ UCLA (36-30) to fall out of the Top 25. Former #22 Missouri (1-1, 0-1 SEC East) lost in Week 2 to then #13 Georgia (41-20) at home.
FCS upsets for Week 2:
Sacramento State beat Colorado (30-28), as Pac 12 takes hit vs. FCS.
Northern Arizona beat UNLV (17-10) and North Dakota State beat Colorado State (22-7), as MWC takes two hits vs. FCS.
Illinois State beat Eastern Michigan (31-14), as MAC takes hit vs. FCS.
Breakdown of OOC records in Week 2 by conference and Notes:
SEC - 6-2 vs. OOC opponents, with losses to Sun Belt and Big Ten. One win over FCS and the Pac 12.
Big Ten - 6-6 vs. OOC opponents, with losses to Pac 12 (3 on road), ACC, Big 12 and vs. Notre Dame. Win over SEC, one FCS program.
Big 12 - 7-1 vs. OOC opponents, with loss to C-USA. Two FCS wins and one over ACC, Big Ten and Pac 12.
Pac 12 - 9-3 vs. OOC opponents, with one FCS loss, SEC and WAC. Two FCS wins, as well as three wins over Big Ten at home, one vs. Big East, ACC and Big 12.
ACC - 8-2 vs. OOC opponents, with Pac 12 and Big 12 loss. Four wins over FCS, along with wins over Big 12 and Big East (2).
Big East - 3-3 vs. OOC oppoents, with two ACC losses and Pac 12. Two FCS win and WAC win.
MWC - 1-7 vs. OOC opponents, with two FCS losses, Big Ten, C-USA, MAC, Pac 12 and Big 12. Lone win over Army.
C-USA - 3-5 vs. OOC opponents, with losses to Big Ten, SEC (2), Sun Belt and WAC. Two wins over FCS and Big Ten.
Independents - 1-2 vs. OOC opponents, with loss to MWC. One FCS win and Big Ten win.
WAC - 4-3 vs. OOC opponents, with losses to MAC(2) and Big 12. Two FCS wins, Pac 12 and C-USA.
MAC - 7-6 vs. OOC opponents with losses vs. FCS, SEC, Sun Belt, Big Ten (2), ACC. Wins vs. four FCS teams, WAC (2) and MWC.
Sun Belt - 5-1 vs. OOC opponents, with loss to SEC. Wins vs. two FCS programs, SEC, MAC and C-USA.
Cy-Hawk Game: Iowa State 9, Iowa 6 in Iowa City
The Cyclones win second straight over Iowa, as they beat Iowa by 3 again.