Iowa's Shonn Greene returns to the Iowa Hawkeyes with a 109 yards on 22 carries and one touchdown. Iowa scores 4 rushing touchdowns, with Greene, Paki O'Meara and two by true freshman Jewell Hampton.
Iowa played two quarterbacks equally, with starter Jake Christensen and his backup Ricky Stanzi. A good first game for both quarterbacks and one would think we will see more of both quarterbacks next Saturday, as the Iowa Hawkeyes host Florida International U.
Maine scored right as the half ended on a 40 yard field goal, fueled by several costly Iowa penalties. Iowa (1-0) lead Maine (0-1) 22-3 at halftime.
Highlights of the game:
- Junior AJ Edds play at LB - including a tackle for a safety in the 2nd quarter
- Sophomore Paki O'Meara showed a nice ability catching the football out of the backfield
- 3rd string true frosh RB Jewell Hamption had a very nice 4th quarter, running for 68 yards on 9 carries
- the kicking game looked solid with punter sophomore Ryan Donahue, true frosh PK Trent Mossbrucker and the kickoffs and placekicking of PK Daniel Murray
- Sophomore Adrian Clayborn looked very solid as a starting DE
- Senior Andy Brodell looked very solid as a punt returner, again... nice to see him back healthy and contributing
Iowa did what you would expect. A predicted 45-6 outcome before the game ended with a 46-3 final score. Iowa has a lot of clean up work to do. They have a lot of improvement to do in most areas of the game. But, it was nice to see a good crowd and some smiles again at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday. They always say teams improve the most from Game 1 to Game 2. We will hopefully find out next Saturday, vs. FIU.
The coaching staff played a lot of true freshmen today, which should help with overall team depth. No true freshmen or redshirt freshmen started today, other than PK Mossbrucker, who played with sophomore Murray, spliting the place kicking duties. Murray handled kickoffs and did very well.