The Iowa Hawkeyes win for the fourth time over Michigan in the coach Kirk Ferentz era. Iowa has back to back wins under coach Ferentz in 2002-2003 and now in 2009-2010.
The Hawkeyes (5-1, 2-0 Big Ten) won 38-28 over Rich Rodriquez and his Michigan Wolverines (5-2, 1-2 Big Ten) to spoil Homecoming festivities in Ann Arbor. Iowa is now 4-5 as a Homecoming guest at Michigan.
Iowa, which did not commit a turnover, is 2-0 in the Big Ten Conference with
wins over Penn State and Michigan. It is the second consecutive Hawkeye win in
the series and their first in the Big House since 2002. The Wolverines are 5-2,
Points fly, teeth chatter during 38-28 Iowa win - University of Iowa
Hawkeyes build 21-point lead, improve to 2-0 in the Big Ten Conference ...
The game in Ann Arbor resembled a past Iowa game in 2002. The road opener @ Penn State, where Iowa build up a big lead, only to see the home team strike back. Unlike the 2002 game, Michigan couldn't get it tied up, as Iowa was able to get a key late field goal from true freshman Mike Meyers. Like 2002, Iowa won in Ann Arbor and on the Wolverines' Homecoming, again.
"This is a happy lockerroom. Winning on the road is difficult anywhere.
Winning on the road in this league is really difficult." - Iowa coach Kirk
Big Plays Key to Big Win - The University of Iowa
Big plays by a number of Hawkeyes key to big win over Michigan ...
"It was a great team effort," who noted Iowa's 4-0 advantage in
turnovers. "They are always critical to the outcome, particularly in league
games, and proved to be again today." - Kirk Ferentz
- Senior WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos receiving - 3 TD receptions
- Sophomore RB Adam Robinson's running and receiving - 2 TD runs
- Senior QB Ricky Stanzi's composure, after a couple slow starts to open each half
- Junior S Tyler Sash's interception and block FG return in the first half
- Senior DT Karl Klug's forced fumble in the Iowa red zone to end a Wolverine drive in the 3Rd quarter
- Iowa's red zone success, while Iowa's defense stepped up and spoiled the Wolverines twice in the red zone
- True freshmen PK Mike Meyers converted on all five XPs and his 30 yard FG attempt
Postgame Notes - The Unversity of Iowa
Iowa vs. Michigan ...
The 38 points scored by the Hawkeyes are the most for Iowa in the series against Michigan. Iowa scored 37 points in 1958. This series with Michigan has been a very exciting one, since the 1981 game in Ann Arbor, in coach J. Hayden Fry's third season. Like 2002 and 2010, Iowa won the 1981 game.Coach Kirk Ferentz was in his first season as an offensive line coach at Iowa in 1981.