- Virginia Tech (6-2) is 4-0 in the ACC Coastal division
- Pittsburgh (5-3) is 3-0 in the Big East
- Central Florida (6-2) is 4-0 in the C-USA East division
- Northern Illinois (7-2) and Toledo (6-3) are both 5-0 in the MAC West division
- TCU (9-0) and Utah (8-0) are both 5-0 in the Mountain West
- Oregon (8-0) is 5-0 in the Pac 10
- Auburn (9-0) is 6-0 in the SEC West division
- Hawaii (7-2) and Boise State (7-0) is 5-0 and 3-0, respectively, in the Western Athletic
Other conference races, where one loss leads the way, heading into November:
- Florida State (6-2) is 4-1, with Maryland (6-2) and North Carolina State (6-2) both 3-1 in the ACC Atlantic division
- Nebraska (7-1) and Missouri (7-1) are both 3-1 in the Big 12 North race, but Cornhuskers own the tiebreaker right now
- Baylor (7-2) is 4-1, with Oklahoma (7-1) and Oklahoma State (7-1) both 3-1 in the Big 12 South division
- Michigan State (8-1) and Ohio State (8-1) are both 4-1 and don't face one another in the Big Ten race, while Wisconsin (7-1) and Iowa (6-2) are both 3-1
- Houston (5-3) and SMU (5-4) are both 4-1 in the C-USA West division race
- Temple (7-2), Ohio U. (6-3) and Miami (OH) (5-4) are all 4-1 in the MAC East division race
- Troy (4-3) is 3-1, with Middle Tennessee and Florida International both 2-1 in the Sun Belt
There is one division in a conference race where two losses leads the way heading into November. The SEC East is lead by South Carolina (6-2) at 4-2. None of the nations FBS Independents have fewer than three losses heading into November. Navy and Army are both 5-3, while Notre Dame is 4-5, with only three games left for the Fighting Irish.
CIDSports Top 25 after Week 9
- Oregon (8-0, 5-0 Pac 10) 1 - Clearly playing outstanding football during the 2010 College Football season and control their own destiny. Week 9: Won 53-32 @ USC (5-3, 2-3 Pac 10). Next: vs. Washington (3-5, 2-3 Pac 10) in Week 10.
- Auburn (9-0, 6-0 SEC West) 4 - It's time to give coach Gene Chizik and the Tigers the credit they deserve as the only remaining BCS and SEC program undefeated. Week 9: Won 51-31 @ Ole Miss (3-5, 1-4 SEC West). Next: vs. Chattanooga (5-3, 4-2 Southern), a FCS program, in OOC play in November.
- Boise State (7-0, 3-0 WAC) 2 - Sorry Broncos' fans, but Oregon and Auburn each deserve a higher ranking based on conference schedule and overall play on the field. Two bye weeks are nice! Week 9: Won on Tuesday night 49-20 vs. Louisiana Tech (3-5, 2-2 WAC). Next: vs. #24 Hawaii (7-2, 5-0 WAC) in Week 10, against a program they are 8-1 and undefeated at home vs. Warriors.
- TCU (9-0, 5-0 MWC) 3 - The Horned Frogs lost two games in '08, one in '09, so can they continue to trend throughout '10? Week 9: Won 48-6 @ UNLV (1-7, 1-3 MWC). Next: @ #6 Utah (8-0, 5-0 MWC) in the MWC showdown of the year. The away team is 1-4 during this series in the conference.
- Alabama (7-1, 4-1 SEC West) 5 - We do have the Crimson Tide the Top One Loss program, despite there disappointing loss at South Carolina earlier in the season. Week 9: Bye week. Next: @ #11 LSU (7-1, 4-1 SEC West) in a game that will likely knock out the loser in the SEC West race.
- Utah (8-0, 5-0 MWC) 6 - The Utes opened the season at home with Pitt and now they have the biggest conference home game coming up in Week 10. Week 9: Won 28-23 @ Air Force (5-4, 3-3 MWC). Next: vs. #4 TCU (9-0, 5-0 MWC), in a game last year the Utes were blown out 28-55.
- Wisconsin (7-1, 3-1 Big Ten) 9 - Only loss was in the Big Ten opener @ Michigan State. Week 9: Bye week. Next: @ Purdue (4-4, 2-2 Big Ten) against a team in year two under coach Danny Hope that is banged up from a physical standpoint, due to injuries.
- Ohio State (8-1, 4-1 Big Ten) 10 - The Buckeyes haven't lost more than one game in conference play, since '05. This year, the loss was first road game in Big Ten @ Wisconsin. Week 9: Won 52-10 @ Minnesota (1-8, 0-5 Big Ten). Next: Bye week, before final three weeks of vs. Penn State, @ Iowa and vs. Michigan.
- Oklahoma (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 South) 12 - The Sooners are playing some young freshmen this year and have only one blemish, a road loss @ Missouri in Week 8. Week 9: Won 43-10 back home in Norman over Colorado (3-5, 0-4 Big 12 North). Next: @ Texas A&M (5-3, 2-2 Big 12 South), in a key road test.
- Nebraska (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 North) 13 - The Cornhuskers are in the driver's seat in the Big 12 North, with only a disappointing home loss vs. Texas in Week 8. Week 9: Won 31-17 vs. then #8 Missouri (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 North). Next: @ Iowa State (5-4, 3-2 Big 12 North), against a team that pulled out a 9-7 upset win in Lincoln last year, under coach Paul Rhoads now in his second season for the Cyclones.
- LSU (7-1, 4-1 SEC West) 11 - The Tigers don't get a lot of respect, but on the field they didn't get it done @ Auburn in conference play. Week 9: Bye week, after first loss @ Auburn. Next: vs. #5 Alabama (7-1, 4-1 SEC West).
- Stanford (7-1, 4-1 Pac 10) 14 - The Cardinal need help in Pac 10 play, since Oregon is rolling and gave Stanford it's lone loss. Week 9: Won 41-0 @ Washington (3-5, 2-3 Pac 10). Next: vs. #13 Arizona (7-1, 4-1 Pac 10).
- Arizona (7-1, 4-1 Pac 10) 16 - Despite a loss against Oregon State, the Wildcats can get to the Rose Bowl, if they can win out in the Pac 10. Week 9: Won 29-21 @ UCLA (3-5, 1-4 Pac 10). Next: @ #12 Stanford (7-1, 4-1 Pac 10), in the game that will likely determine, if Oregon is in a race in the Pac 10.
- Iowa (6-2, 3-1 Big Ten) 17 - The Hawkeyes two losses @ Arizona and vs. Wisconsin can be highlighted by poor special teams play. Week 9: Won 37-6 at home over former #7 Michigan State (8-1, 4-1 Big Ten) to knock out the Big Ten's final undefeated team. Next: @ Indiana (4-4, 0-4 Big Ten), where Iowa has won 5 of the last 7 in series.
- Michigan State (8-1, 4-1 Big Ten) 7 - The Spartans don't play Ohio State this season, but the Hawkeyes put a dent in the Spartan armour. Week 9: Lost 6-37 @ former #17 Iowa (6-2, 3-1 Big Ten). Next: vs. Minnesota (1-8, 0-5 Big Ten) at home to clean up things.
- Oklahoma State (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 South) 18 - The Cowboys are playing far better than some thought they would heading into 2010. Week 9: Won 24-14 @ Kansas State (5-3, 2-3 Big 12 North). Next: vs. Baylor (7-2, 4-1) for a huge division game, something the Bears haven't encountered typically during the history in the Big 12. Next: vs. #t25 Baylor (7-2, 4-1 Big 12) that will determine plenty in the Big 12 South race.
- Missouri (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 North) 8 - The Tigers picked up a nice home win over Oklahoma, but the game in Lincoln knocks the Tigers back in the Big 12 North. Week 9: Lost 17-31 @ then # 13 Nebraska (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 North) to close out the conference history with the Cornhuskers on a familiar note. Next: @ Texas Tech (4-4, 2-4 Big 12 South).
- Mississippi State (7-2, 3-2 SEC West) 19 - The Bulldogs only blemishes are vs. Auburn and @ LSU. Week 9: Won 24-17 vs. Kentucky (4-5, 1-5 SEC East). Next: Bye week before hitting the road @ Alabama, against the defending BCS champ.
- Arkansas (6-2, 3-2 SEC West) 20 - The Razorbacks only blemishes are vs. Alabama and @Auburn. Week 9: Won 49-14 vs. Vanderbilt (2-6, 1-4 SEC East). Next: @ South Carolina (6-2, 4-2 SEC East), in a game that the Razorbacks could real play the role of spoiler.
- South Carolina (6-2, 4-2 SEC East) 22 - The Gamecocks and coach Steve Spurrier have an opportunity to win their first SEC division title in the SEC this season. Can they keep the wheels going in this race? Week 9: Won 38-24 vs. Tennessee (2-6, 0-5 SEC East). Next: vs. #19 Arkansas (6-2, 3-2 SEC West), in a huge inter-SEC game that has a huge impact on the East race.
- Virginia Tech (6-2, 4-0 ACC Coastal) 21 - The Hokies are the only remaining team in conference play undefeated, after a dismal start in 2010, the Hokies have won six straight. Week 9: Bye week. Next: vs. Georgia Tech (5-3, 3-2 ACC Coastal).
- North Carolina State (6-2, 3-1 ACC Atlantic) 24 - Coach Tom O'Brien is a good coach and picked up a big Thursday night win in conference play to close out October. Week 9: Won 28-24 vs. former #15 Florida State (6-2, 4-1 ACC Atlantic). Next: @ Clemson (4-4, 2-3 ACC Atlantic)
- Florida State (6-2, 4-1 ACC Atlantic) 15 - The Seminoles are enjoying their first season under new coach Jimbo Fisher. Week 9: lost 24-28 @ then #24 North Carolina State (6-2, 3-1 ACC Atlantic). Next: vs. North Carolina (5-3, 2-2 ACC Coastal) for Homecoming in Tallahassee.
- Hawaii (7-2, 5-0 WAC) nr - The Rainbows lead the WAC and have a huge opportunity in November to make some major noise. Week 9: Won 45-10 on Homecoming vs. Idaho (4-4, 1-2 WAC). Next: @ #3 Boise State (7-0, 3-0 WAC) in a huge game with national ramifications, as well as impact in conference play.
- (tied) Baylor (7-2, 4-1) nr - The Bears lead the Big 12 South, with only three games remaining. Could history be written in 2010? Week 9: Won 30-22 @ Texas (4-4, 2-3 Big 12 South). Next: @ #16 Oklahoma State (7-1, 3-1 Big 12 South) in even a bigger road game in back to back weeks for Bears.
(tied) Nevada (7-1, 2-1 WAC) 25 - The Wolf Pack only lost was at Hawaii in conference play. Week 9: Won 56-42 vs. Utah State (2-6, 0-4 WAC). Next: @ Idaho (4-4, 1-2 WAC).
Out of the Top 25 after Week 9: former #23 Miami (FL) (5-3, 3-2 ACC Coastal) lost 19-24 to Virginia (4-4, 1-3 ACC Coastal).
We head into November with some outstanding races ahead. Will a non-BCS program get into the BCS Title Game this season? Will the Pac 10 and SEC allow one to get through the season unblemished?