Though, the first week certainly opened some drama for the 2008 season. OSU's RB Chris "Beanie" Wells went down with a foot injury. Clemson was well, Clemson and didn't step up in a big game, losing to Alabama. East Carolina knocked Virginia Tech down at their own game, fueled by a blocked punt for a game changing touchdown and win over the Hokies.
My new Top 25 post week one (record, including conference, if applicable) last week's rating:
- Ohio State Buckeyes (1-0) 1 - 43-0 home win over FCS Youngstown State (0-1) appears to be par for the course for the opener, after 38-6 win in '07 vs. YSU... the Buckeyes will host Ohio U (0-1) for a Week 2 game in Columbus.
- Georgia Bulldogs (1-0) 2 - 45-21 home win over FCS Georgia Southern (0-1) appears to be par for the course for the opener, after 48-28 win in '04 season opener vs. GSU... the Bulldogs will host Central Michigan (1-0), who won home opener on Thursday night, for a Week 2 match up.
- USC Trojans (1-0) 3 - 52-7 road win over Virginia (0-1) to open the '08 season in strong fashion... now, a bye week proceeds the home opener on September 13 with #1 Ohio State (1-0) in the Los Angeles Coliseum.
- Oklahoma Sooners (1-0) 4 - 52-2 home win over FCS Chattanooga (0-1) in the uglest match up of Top 10 teams to open season... now, the Sooners will host Cincinnati (1-0) for a Week 2 game in Norman.
- Florida Gators (1-0) 5 - 56-10 home win over Hawaii (0-1) in a game that was never competitive... now, the Gators will host intra-state rival Miami-FL (1-0) in Gainsville.
- Auburn Tigers (1-0) 6 - 34-0 home win over Louisiana-Monroe (0-1), who went 6-6 in '07, with an upset over Auburn rival Alabama in '07... Tigers were all business and will host Southern Miss (1-0) in Week 2.
- Texas Longhorns (1-0) 7 - 52-10 home win over Florida Atlantic (0-1), against the top pick in the Sun Belt the Longhorns won in convincing fashion... next, the Longhorns will travel to El Paso to face UTEP (0-1).
- LSU Tigers (1-0) 8 - 41-13 home win over FCS defending champion Appalachian State (0-1), so the defending champions get off to good start... now, the Tigers will host Troy (1-0, 1-0 Sun Belt), who are coming off a key Sun Belt road game to start their season.
- West Virginia Mountaineers (1-0) 9 - 48-21 home win over FCS Villanova (0-1), to welcome in coach Bill Stewart's first full season as Rich Rodriquez replacement... but, a dangerous game at East Carolina (1-0) is up, after ECU upset win over then #12 VT at home.
- Missouri Tigers (1-0) 10 - 52-42 win over then #20 Illinois (0-1) in St. Louis, both teams played in '07, with Mizzu winning 40-34 in that one... next, the Tigers will open at home with SE Missouri (1-0), a FCS school, who won their home opener with Southwest Baptist 35-28 in OT. (OU won this weekend's ugliest Top 10 match up, so Missouri wins it for week 2).
- Oregon Ducks (1-0, 1-0 in Pac 10) 14 - 44-10 home win over Washington (0-1, 0-1 Pac 10) to open season and conference play for '08... the Ducks will host Utah State (0-1) in Week 2.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (1-0) 18 - won road opener 41-13 at Baylor (0-1) on Thursday night to open the season... with the trouble Wake's ACC brothers Clemson and VT had in their openers... Wake will carry the ACC torch for now! Next up: Mississippi (1-0) in Demon Deacons home opener.
- Brigham Young Cougars (1-0) 13 - 41-17 home win vs. FCS Northern Iowa (0-1) in a game that was within ten points entering the fourth quarter... Cougars won hard fought game over Panthers. Next up: BYU hosts Washington (0-1, 0-1 Pac 10).
- Alabama Crimson Tide (1-0) nr - 34-10 win over then #11 Clemson (0-1) in Atlanta... coach Nick Saban and his Crimson Tide used a mix of youth and experience to convincingly beat Clemson. Next up: vs. Tulane (0-0), who face Gustav this weekend, rather than football. Hopefully, it's not a repeat of Katrina for those from New Orleans in '08.
- Utah Utes (1-0) 23 - win 25-23 on the road in Ann Arbor at Michigan (0-1)... to dampen the Wolverines new coach, Rich Rodriquez, debut in Ann Arbor. Next up: home opener vs. UNLV (1-0)
- Arizona State Sun Devils (1-0) 16 - 30-13 home win over FCS Northern Arizona (0-1)... not exactly convincing fashion, after the Sun Devils beat NAU 35-14 in '06. Next up: Pac Ten home opener vs. Stanford (1-0, 1-0 in Pac Ten).
- Penn State Nittany Lions (1-0) 17 - 66-10 home win over FCS Coastal Carolina (0-1)... nice win for the Nittany Lions... now, the Nittany Lions will host Oregon State (0-1, 0-1 in Pac 10) in an important Big Ten-Pac 10 match up.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (1-0) 19 - 49-24 home win over FCS Eastern Washington (0-1) to open '08... now, the Red Raiders will travel to Nevada (1-0) for a Week 2 match up.
- Kansas Jayhawks (1-0) 21 - 40-10 home win over Florida International (0-1)... the Jayhawks beat FIU 55-3 in '07 fwiw.... now, the Jayhawks will host Louisiana Tech (1-0), after LA Tech beat Mississippi State in their home opener in week 1. Could this be an interesting Week 2 BCS- non-BCS match up?
- Fresno State Bulldogs (1-0) 22 - 24-7 road win at Rutgers (0-1) on Monday... the Bulldogs will have a bye week to prepare for their home opener week 3 vs. Wisconsin (1-0) at Bulldog Stadium.
- Wisconsin Badgers (1-0) 24 - 38-17 home win over Akron (0-1)... the running game rolled in Madison in home opener... next, the Badgers host Marshall (1-0) in Week 2 game.
- Clemson (0-1) 11 - 10-34 loss to Alabama (1-0) in Atlanta... the Tigers clearly were out manned by their SEC foe in their opener... next, the Tigers open at home vs. FCS The Citadel (1-0).
- South Carolina (1-0) nr - 34-30 home win over North Carolina State (0-1)... clearly the Gamecocks dismantled NC State in the opener of '08. Next up: SEC opener at Vanderbilt (1-0).
- Tennessee Volunteers (0-1) 14 - 24-27 OT road loss at UCLA (1-0) on Monday night in exciting finish to to the first weekend of college football... the Volunteers will have a bye week before hosting UAB (0-1) in week 3.
- Tulsa Golden Hurricane (1-0, 1-0 in C-USA) - won on road 45-22 at UAB (0-1, 0-1 C-USA) in conference opener for both teams. Next up: at North Texas (0-1).
Out of the Top 25 after Week 1 - Virginia Tech (0-1, 12), Illinois (0-1, 20).
Team to Watch - South Florida Bulls (1-0) nr - beat FBS Tennessee-Martin 56-7 in week 1 and will travel to Central Florida (1-0) in week 2.