Tuesday, July 29, 2008

HBO: A City on Fire: The Story of the '68 Detroit Tigers


It is interesting watching the various baseball documentaries on HBO. The Detroit Story of '68 was done in 2002. I caught for the first time tonight. It is an interesting way to learn and reflect about our society and culture. Sports certainly has played a major role in the culture of our cities.

St. Louis vs. Detroit in the 1968 World Series. One of my favorite all-time players in Major League Baseball was Bob Gibson. I have never been an American League fan. But, 1968 was clearly the Tigers year, but it took all of seven games, after a 3-1 game deficit!

Baseball in the 1960's was clearly our national pastime. I grew up enjoying the dog days of summer. I know a number of people who love the game today. I enjoyed baseball in my youth as a player and as a volunteer Kid's League coach in the 1970's and 1980's.

peace

No comments: