So, who really is #1 in College Football?
Teams like Ohio State, Georgia, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, Florida, Missouri, West Virginia, Clemson and Louisiana State were all supposed to be Top 10 teams. Some clearly are, but all nine of these teams have lost already in '08.
No ACC teams are undefeated overall. Wake Forest (2-0), in the Atlantic Division, and Virginia Tech (2-0), in the Coastal Division, are the only two undefeated teams in the ACC.
The Big 12 has three undefeated teams, all from the Big 12 South: Texas (6-0), Texas Tech (6-0) and Oklahoma State (6-0)... they are all 2-0 to lead the South. Kansas (2-0) in the Big 12 North leads the soft side.
No Big East teams are undefeated overall. Pittsburgh and West Virginia lead the Big East at 2-0, with UConn and Cincinnati, both 1-0, and also in control of their Big East future.
The Big Ten has one undefeated team overall, with Penn State at 7-0. The Big Ten race is a three-way tie at 3-0 with Penn State, Michigan State and Ohio State.
Conference USA has one undefeated team overall at 6-0, Tulsa. Marshall (2-0) leads the East Division, while Tulsa and UTEP are both 3-0 to lead the West Division, while Houston is 2-0 and still in control of their future as well.
No major independents are undefeated.
Only one MAC team is undefeated overall at 7-0, Ball State. Though, Western Michigan leads to West Division at 4-0, with Ball State and Central Michigan at 3-0, but still in very good position. The East Division is lead by Bowling Green at 1-1... everyone else has at least 2 conference losses in the division.
The Mountain West has two undefeated teams overall, with Utah at 7-0 and BYU 6-0 overall on the season. Utah and TCU are 3-0 to lead conference play in MWC, while BYU is 2-0.
The Pacific 10 doesn't have an overall team undefeated. California leads the conference at 2-0, but two other teams are 3-1, so the race is very early to consider Cal a front runner, in a conference where each team plays a true round robin, 9 game conference slate.
The SEC has only one team undefeated overall... surprise, surprise, since it's Alabama. Coach Nick Saban's Alabama team is 6-0 right now. In conference play, Alabama is 3-0 to lead the West Division, while Florida and Vanderbilt lead to East Division at 3-1, with Georgia at 2-1.
The Sun Belt doesn't have any undefeated teams overall. Troy and Arkansas State are 2-0 to lead the Sun Belt early in conference play.
The WAC has one team undefeated overall at 5-0, Boise State. In conference play, San Jose leads the WAC at 2-0, while Boise State and New Mexico State are 1-0 early in WAC play.
This Week's Top 25 (Week 7):
- Texas Longhorns (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) - Earn the #1 ranking after a solid 45-35 win in the Red River Rivalry Game over former #2 Oklahoma (5-1, 1-1 Big 12). Next up: vs. #13 Missouri (5-1, 1-1 Big 12) - it doesn't get easier for the Longhorn defense... with the Tigers coming to Austin.
- Penn State Nittany Lions (7-0, 3-0 Big Ten) - The Nittany Lions picked up an important road win at Wisconsin (3-3, 0-3 Big Ten) 48-7. Next up: vs. Michigan (2-4, 1-1 Big Ten) for Homecoming at a very Happy Valley!
- Alabama Crimson Tide (6-0, 3-0 SEC) - Perfect timing for a bye week in Week 7 with 3 of the Top 6 going down? Next up: vs. Mississippi (3-3, 1-2) in SEC West play.
- Southern Cal Trojans (4-1, 2-1 Pac 10) - Yes, they have one loss, but how many teams are truly better than the Trojans? Week 7 win 28-0 at home vs. Arizona State (2-4, 1-2 Pac Ten). Next up: at Washington State (1-6, 0-4 Pac 10) - look for a better trip to the Pacific Northwest in this game.
- Florida Gators (5-1, 3-1 SEC) - The Gators punish the defending BCS champs former #1 LSU Tigers (4-1, 2-1 SEC) 51-21 in the Swamp. Next up: Bye Week to prep for Homecoming game vs. Kentucky.
- Brigham Young Cougars (6-0, 2-0 MWC) - The Cougars win their Homecoming game in the MWC game vs. New Mexico (3-4, 1-2 MWC) 21-3 to continue their undefeated ways! Next up: at #25 TCU (6-1, 3-0 MWC) on Thursday night in a key MWC game.
- Georgia Bulldogs (5-1, 2-1 SEC) - Bulldogs win important home SEC game over Tennessee (2-4, 0-3 SEC) 26-14. Next up: vs. # 17 Vanderbilt (5-1, 3-1 SEC) in what may become a very dangerous match up for a Homecoming game.
- Oklahoma Sooners (5-1, 1-1 Big 12) - Coach Bob Stoops has to rebound after the Sooners fall 35-45 in the Red River Rivalry for the first time, since '06, to former #4 Texas (6-0, 2-0 Big 12). Next up: vs. #19 Kansas (5-1, 2-0) for home test on Homecoming.
- LSU Tigers (4-1, 2-1 SEC) - The Tigers failed a major test at former #12 Florida (5-1, 3-1 SEC) 21-51. Next up: at South Carolina (5-2, 2-2 SEC) in another SEC road test.
- Ohio State Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) - The Buckeyes win a 16-3 business like type game vs. Purdue (2-4, 0-2 Big Ten) at home. Next up: at Michigan State (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) in major road test for defending Big Ten champions.
- Utah Utes (7-0, 3-0 MWC) - The Utes win at Wyoming (2-5, 0-4 MWC) 40-7 to remain undefeated for the season. Next up: vs. Colorado State (3-3, 1-1 MWC).
- Oklahoma State Cowboys (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) - Cowboys finish out tough Big 12 road test with win over former #6 Missouri (5-1, 1-1 Big 12) 28-23 in Columbia. Next up: vs. Baylor (3-3, 1-1 Big 12) for Homecoming game.
- Missouri Tigers (5-1, 1-1 Big 12) - Coach Gary Pinkel will have to regroup the troops quickly after losing Big 12 home opener 23-28 to former #17 Oklahoma State (6-0, 2-0 Big 12). Next up: at #1 Texas (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) in Austin.
- Virginia Tech Hokies (5-1, 2-0 ACC) - Bye week for the Hokies in Week 7 to prepare for key back to back road tests at Boston College (4-1, 1-1 ACC) and then, at Florida State (4-1, 1-1 ACC), in the next 2 weeks in ACC play.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (6-0, 2-0 Big 12) - Overcame test in OT game with Nebraska (3-3, 0-2 Big 12) with a 37-31 win at home in the Big 12 home opener. Next up: at Texas A&M (2-4, 0-2 Big 12).
- Boise State Broncos (5-0, 1-0 WAC) - The Broncos win 24-7 in OOC road test at Southern Miss (2-4, 0-2 C-USA). Next up: vs. Hawaii (3-3, 2-1 WAC) in key Friday night WAC game.
- Vanderbilt Commodores (5-1, 3-1 SEC) - Commodores are knocked off at Mississippi State (2-4, 1-2 SEC) 14-17 with another big test on the road next. Next up: at #7 Georgia (5-1, 2-1 SEC).
- South Florida Bulls (5-1, 0-1 Big East) - Bye week for the Bulls to regroup after disappointing loss to Pitt (4-1, 2-0 Big East) at home in Week 6. Next up: vs. Syracuse (1-5, 0-2 Big East), after b2b losses for Orange to both co-leaders of Big East.
- Kansas Jayhawks (5-1, 2-0 Big 12) - The Jayhawks win Big 12 home opener 30-14 over Colorado (3-3, 0-2 Big 12) to take lead in Big 12 North race. Next up: at #8 Oklahoma (5-1, 1-1 Big 12) in key road test.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons (4-1, 2-0 ACC) - Won 12-7 vs. Clemson (3-3, 1-2 ACC) in an important ACC game. Next up: at Maryland (4-2, 1-1 ACC).
- Michigan State Spartans (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) - The Spartans are off to great start under second year coach Mark Dantonio in the Big Ten with a solid 37-20 road win at Northwestern (5-1, 1-1 Big Ten). Next up: vs. #10 Ohio State (6-1, 3-0) at East Lansing.
- North Carolina Tar Heels (5-1, 1-1 ACC) - Tar Heels pick up solid OOC home win vs. Notre Dame (4-2) 29-24. Next up: at Virginia (3-3, 1-1 ACC) to return to conference play this week.
- Tulsa Golden Hurricane (6-0, 3-0 C-USA) - The Golden Hurricane pick up 37-31 road win in C-USA at SMU (1-6, 0-4 C-USA) to remain unbeaten in '08. Next up: vs. UTEP (3-3, 3-0 C-USA) in key C-USA Division battle for division lead.
- Ball State Cardinals (7-0, 3-0 MAC) - Ball State won OOC game at Western Kentucky (2-5) 24-7 to remain undefeated in '08. Next up: Bye Week in Week 8 to prepare for Eastern Michigan (2-5, 1-2 MAC) in Week 9.
- TCU Horned Frogs (6-1, 3-0 MWC) - Yes, a 13-7 road win at Colorado State (3-3, 1-1 MWC) isn't very sexy, but the Horned Frogs are 3-0 and in a position to cause some major damage in the non-BCS strong MWC. The lone loss was at #8 OU. Next up: vs. #6 BYU (6-0, 2-0 MWC) on Thursday night in a huge MWC game.
Team Out of the Top 25 after Week 7 - Auburn Tigers (4-3, 2-3 SEC).
Teams to Watch: Two teams coming off bye weeks are Pittsburgh (4-1, 2-0 Big East) and California (4-1, 2-0 Pac 10)... another win this week may put one or both into the Top 25, but they don't deserve a Top 25 ranking coming off a bye week.
Game to Watch: The Iowa Hawkeyes (4-3, 1-2 Big Ten) hosts Wisconsin Badgers (3-3, 0-3 Big Ten) in battle of the Heartland Trophy at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday. Both teams are off to very slow starts in '08 and need this key Big Ten match up to salvage season.