- Texas Longhorns (8-0, 4-0 Big 12) - The Longhorns take down former #10 Oklahoma State (7-1, 3-1 Big 12) 28-24 in Austin in a close battle between Top 10 teams. Next up: at #8 Texas Tech (8-0, 4-0 Big 12) for another Top 10 battle against the other remaining undefeated Big 12 team in Lubbock...
- Penn State Nittany Lions (9-0, 5-0 Big Ten) - The special season for Joe Pa is still alive, as the Nittany Lions pick up their first Big Ten win in Columbus and the first win in 30 years in Columbus under Joe Pa 13-6 over Ohio State (7-2, 4-1 Big Ten) to jump into the top place in the Big Ten by themselves. Next up: Bye week to prepare for final 3... at Iowa (5-3, 2-2 Big Ten) on November 8th.
- Alabama Crimson Tide (8-0, 5-0 SEC) - Coach Nick Saban keeps his second campaign at Bama undefeated with a solid 29-9 win at Tennessee (3-5, 1-4 SEC). Next up: vs. Arkansas State (4-3, 2-1 Sun Belt) for an OOC tilt in November for the Tide.
- Southern Cal Trojans (6-1, 4-1 Pac 10) - The Trojans grind out a key Pac 10 road game at Arizona (5-3, 3-2 Pac 10) 17-10 to remain among the leaders in the Pac 10 race. Next up: vs. Washington (0-7, 0-4 Pac 10) at home in the Coliseum.
- Florida Gators (6-1, 4-1 SEC) - The Gators take down soundly Kentucky (5-3, 1-3 SEC) 63-5 in SEC play. Next up: vs. #6 Georgia (7-1, 4-1 SEC) in the world's largest cocktail party in Jacksonville.
- Georgia Bulldogs (7-1, 4-1 SEC) - The Bulldogs take down former # 8 LSU (5-2, 3-2 SEC) on the road 52-38 to remain at the top of the SEC East with others. Next up: vs. #5 Florida (6-1, 4-1 SEC) in Jacksonville for the top spot in the Division.
- Oklahoma Sooners (7-1, 3-1 Big 12) - The Sooners win an important road game at Kansas State (4-4, 1-3 Big 12) 58-35, but need help in the South. Next up: vs. Nebraska (5-3, 2-2 Big 12) for an old classic Big 8 match up in Norman.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (8-0, 4-0) - The Red Raiders took down former #20 Kansas (5-3, 2-2 Big 12) on their home turf 63-21 to remain undefeated. Next up: vs. #1 Texas (8-0, 4-0 Big 12) in the largest game in Lubbock ever... JW would be proud, rip!
- Oklahoma State Cowboys (7-1, 3-1 Big 12) - The Cowboys are clearly playing like a Top 10 team, but lose 24-28 in a close game at #1 Texas (8-0, 4-0 Big 12) to fall off the lead in the South. Next up: vs. Iowa State (2-6, 0-4 Big 12) against a team going through growing pains under second year coach Gene Chizik.
- Missouri Tigers (6-2, 2-2 Big 12) - Are the Tigers really worthy of a Top 10 position, a 58-0 home shutout of Colorado (4-4, 1-3 Big 12) says yes for now. Next up: at Baylor (3-5, 1-3 Big 12) for another road date with a South opponent.
- Utah Utes (8-0, 4-0 MWC) - The Utes enjoyed a bye week to close out the month of October to stay atop the top non-BCS teams for now. Next up: at New Mexico (4-5, 2-3 MWC) for dangerous road test in the Mountain West!
- Boise State Broncos (7-0, 3-0 WAC) - The Broncos won 33-16 in Friday night WAC game at San Jose State (5-3, 3-1 WAC) to remain undefeated overall and to take the sole lead in the WAC.
- TCU Horned Frogs (8-1, 5-0 MWC) - The Horned Frogs keep the lead in the MWC with 54-7 home win vs. Wyoming (2-6, 0-5 MWC). Next up: at UNLV (3-5, 0-4 MWC) in an important road test, before the showdown at Utah the following week.
- LSU Tigers (5-2, 3-2 SEC) - The Tigers fall again in the SEC... this time 38-52 to #6 Georgia (6-1, 3-1 SEC) at home. Next up: vs. Tulane (2-5, 1-3 C-USA) ... an easy opponent for the Tigers to lick their wounds with.
- Ohio State Buckeyes (7-2, 4-1 Big Ten) - The Buckeyes continue to grow with true freshman QB Terrelle Pryor, but his costly fumble derails the Buckeyes 6-13 vs. #2 Penn State (8-0, 5-0 Big Ten) in Columbus. Next up: Bye week to open November.
- Florida State Seminoles (6-1, 3-1 ACC) - The Seminoles pick up a good home win over Virginia Tech (5-3, 2-3 ACC) 30-20 to stay tied for the lead Atlantic Division of the ACC. Next up: at Georgia Tech (6-2, 3-2 ACC) in an ACC road test against a Coastal Division opponent.
- Tulsa Golden Hurricane*** (7-0, 4-0 C-USA) - Tulsa hosts Central Florida (2-4, 1-1 C-USA) in a Sunday game of Week 8. Next up: at Arkansas (3-5, 1-4 SEC) in a key OOC test to open November.
- Brigham Young Cougars (7-1, 3-1 MWC) - The Cougars bounce back at home with a 42-35 win over UNLV (3-5, 0-4 MWC). Next up: at Colorado State (4-4, 2-2 MWC) in an important road test in the Mountain West.
- Ball State Cardinals (8-0, 4-0 MAC) - The Cardinals resume their winning ways coming off bye week with a 38-16 home win over Eastern Michigan (2-7, 1-4 MAC) in conference play. Next up: vs. Northern Illinois (5-3, 4-1 MAC) on Wednesday night in MAC West play.
- Michigan State Spartans - (7-2, 4-1 Big Ten) - The Spartans regrouped after disappointment vs. Ohio State in Week 8... with a solid 35-21 road win over in-state rival Michigan (2-6, 1-3 Big Ten) for the Paul Bunyan Trophy. Next up: vs. Wisconsin (4-4, 1-4 Big Ten) in a key conference battle.
- Oregon Ducks (6-2, 4-1 Pac 10) - The Ducks pick up a solid 54-20 road win at Arizona State (2-5, 1-3 Pac 10). Next up: at California (5-2, 3-1 Pac 10) for another important Pac 10 road game.
- North Carolina Tar Heels (6-2, 2-2 ACC) - The Tar Heels jump back into the Top 25 and back in the win column with a 45-25 home win over Boston College (5-2, 2-2 ACC)... one game back in the ACC Coastal Division. Next up: vs. Georgia Tech (6-2, 3-2) in a key division game in the ACC.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers (7-1, 3-1 Big Ten) - Coach Tim Brewster has the Golden Gophers on track in his second year as coach, benefiting from a favorable schedule. The Golden Gophers 17-6 road win at Purdue (2-6, 0-4) springs them into the Top 25 this week. Next up: vs. Northwestern (6-2, 2-2 Big Ten), who may be without their starting QB for the game with the Gophers.
- Maryland Terrapins (6-2, 3-1 ACC) - The Terps picked up a 27-24 home win vs. North Carolina State (2-6, 0-4 ACC) to stay even with the Seminoles in the Atlantic Division. Next up: at Virginia Tech (5-3, 2-2 ACC) in a inter-division ACC game.
- West Virginia Mountaineers (5-2, 2-0 Big East) - The Mountaineers picked up their fourth straight win with 34-17 home win over Auburn (4-4, 2-3 SEC). Next up: at UConn (6-2, 2-1 Big East) for a key road test and to defend the Mountaineers lead in the Big East race.
*** Week 9 Poll was determined prior to Tulsa's Sunday, October 26, 2008 game.
Teams Out of the Top 25 after Week 9 - South Florida Bulls (6-2, 1-2 Big East), Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (6-2, 3-2 ACC), Kansas Jayhawks (5-3, 2-2 Big 12), Northwestern Wildcats (6-2, 2-2 Big Ten), Pittsburgh Panthers (5-2, 2-1 Big East).
Team to Watch - Iowa Hawkeyes (5-3, 2-2 Big Ten) - Bye week during Week 9, the Hawkeyes lost three straight, before winning two straight to enter the bye week. All three losses came from a total of 9 points. Now, first year starting QB sophomore Ricky Stanzi has taken over for QB Jake Christensen and appears to be finding his way, with the support of junior RB Shonn Greene, the only RB in the FBS to run for at least 100 yards in each game this season. Next up: at Illinois (4-4, 2-3 Big Ten), which will test a solid Hawkeye defense.
Game of the Week - #1 Texas @ #8 Texas Tech in Lubbock...