Here are some notable finishes: The Good
- Top 25 Wake Forest (ACC) travels to Baylor (Big 12) and wins 41-13 to open the season on Thursday night!
- Boston College (ACC) wins 21-0 on the road at Kent State (MAC)... one of those important road tests and BC passes it, with a new QB, since Matt Ryan has departed to the NFL...
- Vanderbilt (SEC) wins 34-13 at Miami-OH(MAC)... a surprise victory and one may say coach Shane Montgomery's seat gets a little warmer and a signature OOC win is missed.
- Oklahoma State (Big 12) wins on the road at Washington State (Pac 10) 39-13
- Utah (MWC) goes into the Big House and beats Michigan (Big Ten) 25-23... tough start for coach Rich Rodriquez at Michigan, but a great win for the Mountain West in '08!
- I am not a big fan of conference games being season openers, but a huge win to start the Sun Belt Conference race for Troy: Troy wins at Middle Tennessee 31-17 on the road!
- The Pac Ten Conference (Pac 10) is Good for playing a true round robin schedule, but Bad for starting the season with two conference games.
- California (Pac 10) 38-31 home victory over Michigan State...
Again, why play conference games before at least two OOC games? The Bad...
- Should this game be played in August? Top 25 Oregon wins home opener vs. Pac 10 rival Washington 44-10, ouch!
- The bad for Oregon State, not only do you start 0-1, but you are 0-1 in the conference... Stanford beats Oregon State at home!
- The MWC joined the Sun Belt with one conference opener... TCU picks up road win at New Mexico 26-3
- The SEC saw a team fall to a WAC program... Mississippi State lost at Louisiana Tech 14-22
- Debuts were tough by other coaches too, such as Mike Sherman at Texas A&M, who witnessed his Texas A&M Aggies lose 14-18 to Arkansas State (Sun Belt) in College Station.
Now, the Ugly so far this week...
- The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) takes major hits with Top 25 Clemson and Virginia Tech falling to Alabama (SEC) 10-34 (game in Atlanta) and at East Carolina (C-USA) 22-27, respectively... poor showings by North Carolina State (L 0-34 at South Carolina of SEC) and Virginia (L 7-52 at home vs. #3 USC of Pac 10) didn't help either.
- Not ready for prime time Pittsburgh (Big East) loses at home to Bowling Green (MAC) 27-17 in the season opener, ouch!
- The FCS gets a win over the FBS in '08... Cal-Poly beats coach Chuck Long's San Diego State 29-27, with a trip to South Bend for Notre Dame up next for the Aztecs.
Blow Out of the Weekend: Arizona (ACC) pounds Idaho (WAC) 70-0 as the kickoff of coach Mike Stoops season on the hot seat was delayed due to weather. But, after the lightning delay, the Arizona Wildcats had fireworks of their own in one of the many mismatches of the day.
There are four more games this weekend for FBS teams. Two today and two on Labor Day.
- Today's Games -
2:30 PM ET
It's great to see the 2008 college football season kick off the season! Have a great Labor Day everyone! cidsports